Q: I intend to listen to Audible books on a plane when being on a business trip. I wonder to know whether I can use Audible without Wi-Fi network? If the answer is yes, is there any effective tutorial on how to download Audible audiobooks offline and then I can play them without Internet?
We are unable to keep devices under the Wi-Fi network always. What's more, even though we don't care about the expensive cost of using cellular data, we are not permitted to turn mobile internet connection on in some situations, for example, taking a plane, etc.
As consequence, the best way is to download audiobooks from Audible on your devices in advance. There are two complete solutions enable Audible users to get offline audiobook playback, respectively downloading and playing Audible books on Audible app or converting audiobooks to MP3, M4A and playing on portable devices. Here are detailed steps as below.
Part 1. Download and Play Audible Books Offline via Audible App
Speaking of listening to Audible books offline, as a matter of fact, there is an official way to make it available. Amazon offers its exclusive app for Audible to download audiobooks from its library only if you have purchased those books. Audible app is available for a wide variety of platforms, like Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Microsoft phone, etc.
Just need to install Audible app on your device, download Audible book files offline when it is under data connection firstly and then you will be able to play them via Audible app without having to connect network. As it's more convenient to carry mobile phones, here, we will take Audible App for mobile as example to show the complete steps for your reference.
Step 1. Install Audible app for Android/iOS on your mobile phone and open it to login your Audible account details.
Step 2. Enter to the 'Library' option from the top-left corner and go to the Cloud section. And then you can start to select audiobooks that you'd like to listen offline.
Step 3. Just click on the cover art or touch the 'Download' icon to launch downloading process, you will see audiobooks will be downloaded to your mobile device as expected.
Step 4. Now, you can start to play downloaded Audible books offline on Android or iOS phone that is on airplane mode.
Part 2. Listen to Audible Books without Wifi on Any Device
If you have a more portable device to carry than smartphone, like a Sony Walkman, iPod Shuffle, SanDisk Sansa or another popular MP3 player, you can refer to the following alternative way to listen to Audible offline, which is to download and convert Audible books to MP3 audio format and transfer them to your MP3 player for offline playback without limit.
Since Audible audio books are encoded in AA/AAX format, here, we will meet AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter for Mac/Windows, an excellent audiobook converter. It can not only convert Audible books to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B with ID3 tags preserved but also split audiobooks by chapters to make the playback easier and more convenient.
AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter
Steps to Play Audible Books Offline on MP3 Player
The following tutorial is to guide you on how to use AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter to download and convert Audible books to MP3 or other common audio formats and transfer them to MP3 player for offline listeing step by step.
- Step 1Add downloaded Audible audiobooks to AudFree
- There are two ways to add downloaded Audible books to AudFree software. You can directly drop and drag Audible books from your computer to AudFree program. Alternatively, you can also click the 'Add Files' button to select audiobooks that you'd like to download from iTunes directly.
- Step 2Set output audio format as MP3
- Almost all MP3 players are compatible with MP3 audio format. So you will highly recommendly to set the output format as MP3 by clicking the 'audio' icon. In the setting window, you can aslo customize other audio parameters, like bit rate, sample rate, audio channel, codes, etc. But if you'd like to split audiobooks by chapters, you'd better to set output format as M4A as MP3 format can't support playing audio files by chapters.
- Step 3Convert Audible books for offline playback
- When all setting are ready, you just need to click the big 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface, and then AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter will start to download and convert Audible books to target audio files by chapters that you set before. In general, the conversion time depends on how many audio files you have imported to.
- Step 4Transfer Audible books to MP3 player
- Now, you can start to locate converted audio books on your computer by clicking the 'file' icon. After that, please pug in your MP3 player into the USB port on your computer and drag and drop Audible book folder to MP3 player storage for syncing Audible books to MP3 player.
When you are outside without Internet network but still would like to listen to Audible books offline, you can use the official way to play Audible books on mobile device if convenient. But if you'd like to transfer them to portable MP3 players for playback, you can follow the second way to convert Audible books to common audio formats. One thing to note is that you need to purchase the full version to unlock the time limitation of AudFree software. Have fun with Audible books.