Q: Is Spotify Available on Chromecast? I have already streamed video content right to my smart TV successfully for playback with my family. But Chromecast seems impossible to cast my Spotify music from my mobile phone or my personal computer to the smart TV through Spotify app. I'm using the first-generation Chromecast. Is it related to it? How can I connect Spotify to Chromecast?
You are permitted to stream Spotify right to Google's ultra-simplistic Chromecast streaming dongle about three ways ago. But you should know that the first-generation Chromecast is a video streaming device. Put it another, it doesn't support for music streaming services, including Spotify. Fortunately, Spotify is added to the second-generation Chromecast and Chromecast Audio, which enable users to control playback of Spotify songs.
In this article, we will show you the complete tutorial to get Spotify to stream on Chromecast (second-generation) and Chromecast Audio for enjoying Spotify music on a high-definition television or home audio system. Besides, we will also introduce the effective workaround to put Spotify on the first-generation Chromecast for playback.
Part 1. Spotify on Chromecast/Chromecast Audio via Official Way
Chromecast and Chromecast Audio allow you to control playback of Internet-stream music tracks on your TV or speakers through Spotify mobile or web apps from your mobile phone, tablet or computer. However, there is one of the most important difference when it comes to using Spotify on Chromecast: You'll need to subscribe Spotify Premium to stream Spotify to Chromecast Audio while listening to Spotify music on the compatible Chromecast is free for all Spotify users.
If you are using a Chromecast Audio, please make sure that you have updated to Premium subscription on Spotify. Now, you can refer to following guide on how to get Spotify on your new Chromecast and Chromecast Audio.
Step 1. Make sure your Chromecast or Chromecast Audio and your device using Spotify app are connected to the same Wi-Fi network well.
Step 2. Fire up the Spotify app on your phone, tablet, or computer and start to play the favorite song that you would like to listen to.
Step 3. At the bottom of the screen, please choose the 'Devices Available' option and you can hit on the target Chromecast device listed.
Step 4. Now, you can listen to Spotify music on TV or speaker via Chromecast dongle. Note: You need to hook up your Chromecast device to your TV or smart speaker in advance.
There is no doubt that it's the easiest way to play Spotify on Chromecast and Chromecast Audio. However, the process of connecting Spotify to Chromecast is unstable, since it requires network connection. Besides, this way is not available for all types of Chromecast devices. Of course, if you are a Spotify Premium user, this is the best way to listen to Spotify files on smart speaker or TV through Chromecast.
Part 2. Cast Spotify to Chromecast from PC via Spotify Converter
Since the above way doesn't work on connecting Spotify to Chromecast Audio when you are using a free account on Spotify and the first-generation Chromecast doesn't have this built-in feature, here, we will show you the alternative solution for you to listen to Spotify playlists on any Chromecast device no matter you are a free or premium user.
Although Chromecast hasn't announced that it can supports for playing local audio files, it does have this function in real. All you need to do is using a professional Spotify song converter to download and convert Spotify files to MP3, FLAC, WAV, or other common audio formats. Here we can meet AudFree Music Converter for Spotify, which is designed for free and paying Spotify subscribers to download Spotify tracks to local folder on your computer and convert Spotify to a wide variety of audio formats, like MP3 with zero quality loss. And then, you can freely stream the converted Spotify music on Chromecast.
- Step 1Import Spotify Music to AudFree software
- You can copy and paste the URL of Spotify songs or playlists to the search box of AudFree and press '+' button to add them. Or you can direct drag and drop Spotfiy tracks to the main conversion windows to add Spotify files to AudFree.
- Step 2Define output streaming format
- Here, you're suggested to set MP3 as the output format because of its high quality and small size. As result, it couldn't be easier to stream Spotify MP3 files on Chromecast. Besides, you can customize the bit rate as 320kbps to enhance the output quality for getting nice listening experience.
- Step 3Download and convert Spotfiy tracks
- Now, you can personalize the output destination as you like or just skip it. And then touch the 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface to starting converting process. Spotify music will be downloaded and saved to the target local folder on your computer.
- Step 4Stream converted Spotify files to Chromecast
- You can use Google Chrome to get downloaded Spotify on Chromecast device by casting Google Play Music to Chromecast. To use this way, please make sure you have uploaded converted Spotify to Google Play Music. If you have no idea about it, you can visit this page: How to Import Spotify Playlist to Google Music.
- Please connect your computer and Chromecast to the same Wi-Fi network. You can open Chrome to enter to Google Play Music and play a song, playlist or album that you like. At the bottom of the screen next to the playback controls, you need to touch the 'Cast' button. Now, you can choose the target Chromecast from the device list under the 'Connect to a device' option and Spotify music will be streamed to Chromecast automatically.
No matter which Chromecast device you are using and no matter you are a free or premium user, you can use the second way to make Spotify files available on Chromecast. But you should know although AudFree Spotify Music Converter can support free trial version to download and convert Spotify songs without Premium, there is the one-minute time limitation to download Spotify files. You need to charge for $19.95 to get the full version to break this lock.