Q: How can I rip FLAC music from Spotify for offline playback? With a free account on Spotify, I can enjoy lower 160kbps quality music on desktop, since high-quality for 320kbps is available for Spotify premium subscribers only. I hear that FLAC is the lossless audio format for lossless compression of digital audios. I wonder to know whether there is an effective way to convert Spotify music to FLAC so that I can enjoy Spotify songs with high quality.
It's not a difficult task to convert audio files to FLAC format using a common audio converting tool. But you should know that Spotify songs are protected by DRM technology. To download Spotify playlist to FLAC, we should fall back on the professional Spotify to FLAC converter that can break Spotify DRM lock also. To avoid unnecessary hassle, we will introduce the best Spotify to FLAC converter and show you the detailed tutorial to download Spotify to FLAC in the following article.
Part 1. Why We Need to Convert Spotify Playlist to FLAC
FLAC short for Free Lossless Audio Codec is an audio compression format, which is similar with MP3 format. But the biggest difference is that MP3 is a 'lossy' compression while FLAC is 'lossless' compression of digital audios. For example, when you rip FLAC file from an CD track, the file can keep 100% original CD quality but it takes less space. Besides, FLAC files are compatible with a wide variety of media players, like VLC, SMPlayer, RealPlayer, KMPlayer and more.
It's the universal knowledge that songs, playlists and albums from Spotify are encoded in DRM-protected Ogg Vorbis format streamed at 96kbps to 320kbps. When subscribing a different Spotify plan, members can enjoy music tracks with different audio quality. And only Spotify Premium users can access to the high-quality audio option, the 320kbps audio bitrate that is indistinguishable from CD quality. However, even if you are a premium user, you can only listen to Spotify 320kbps playlists on selected devices due to DRM protection. Apart from upgrading to Premium account for $9.99 per month, it seems the better choice to enjoy 320kpbs on more players and devices by ripping Spotify to FLAC.
Part 2. Best Spotify to FLAC Converter – Rip Spotify to FLAC
AudFree Spotify Music Converter is one of the most excellent Spotify playlist downloader and converter in the market. No matter you are using a free or premium subscription, AudFree Spotify downloader enables you to download any content from Spotify, including songs, playlists and album while removing DRM protection from Spotify tracks. As the full-featured Spotify music converter, it also has the ability of converting Spotify to lossless FLAC, MP3, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B with ID3 tags preserved.
If you set the 'lossy' format as the output format, it allows you to customize the output audio quality by changing the bit rate, audio channel, sample rate, etc. Besides, you can easily organize the Spotify music library by checking the mark next to 'output tracks by artist or album' in AudFree software. Anyway, with the help of this smart AudFree Spotify solution, you can play all Spotify tracks on any device and music players without problem.
Part 3. Guide: How to Download Music from Spotify to FLAC Losslessly
Firstly, please download and install the free trial version of AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac or Windows on your computer. And then you can refer to the following complete tutorial to unlock Spotify DRM and download and convert Spotify music to lossless FLAC with this powerful Spotify to FLAC converter.
- Step 1Add Spotify music to AudFree
- Double click the short cut from your computer to launch AudFree software, and you will see that Spotify app will be opened automatically. And then you can import Spotify playlists by dragging and dropping music files to conversion window or copying and pasting the URL of Spotify track to the search box directly.
- Step 2Set output format as FLAC
- To define the output format as FLAC, you can click the top menu bar -> 'Preference' to open the format window, in which you can see all audio formats supported by AudFree and choose FLAC as the output format. Besides, you can adjust the audio output quality, like bit rate, sample rate, audio channel, etc. as you like.
- Step 3Begin to rip music from Spotify to FLAC
- After all settings done, please press the 'Convert' button to launch the converting process. And AudFree will start to convert DRM-ed Spotify music to lossless FLAC files. To make the conversion process more stable, you are suggested to disable all anti-virus software and firewall. The converting time depends on how many Spotify playlists you need to convert to FLAC.
- After conversion, you can locate Spotify local FLAC files by touching the 'history' icon next to the output folder. Or you can find out the converted Spotify songs on destination folder. Now, you can transfer Spotify FLAC files to any device that supports FLAC format for offline listening.