Speaking of downloading Spotify music on Mac for offline playback, the easiest way is to subscribe Spotify Premium at $9.99 per month for individual use or $4.99 every month with Spotify student discount.
When you start to listen to Spotify downloads on your devices, you will still wonder to know there is another way to download Spotify on Mac. As you will discover downloaded Spotify tracks are encrypted in DRM technology, which prevent paid users from playing them on devices without Spotify app installed.
Fortunately, the answer could be yes. Apart from upgrading to Spotify paying account, the professional third-party Spotify downloaders can help you download Spotify files offline on Mac while getting rid of DRM protection and converting them to plain audio files, like MP3, FLAC, etc. Is it the first time that you heard this way? No worries! You can refer to the following detailed tutorial to download and play Spotify songs on multiple devices.
Part 1. Best Spotify Music Downloader for Mac - You'll Need
After iTunes music tracks purchased in 2009 or later are away from DRM encryption (not included Apple Music), Google also launched a DRM-free audiobook store in 2018 to listen to audiobooks. But Spotify still applies this lock to protect its music streams no matter for free or premium users. Even with your Spotify subscription, you can download music from Spotify on Mac to get cache files only.
With the purpose of getting actual local audio files by downloading Spotify music to Mac, it is imperative to defeat DRM lock. Now, it's time to download and install an excellent Spotify downloader to make it possible. Here, we can meet AudFree Spotify Music Downloader for Mac, one of the professional and powerful Spotify solution.
By adopting innovative DRM decryption technology, this smart program is well-designed to remove DRM protection from all Spotify content, like songs, playlists and albums and convert Spotify Ogg Vorbis audios to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B files at 5X faster speed. It's important to note that it's a commercial tool and you'd better to buy the full version to break file length limitation of converted Spotify tracks. But it works for both free and premium Spotify users. So that you can get Spotify Premium for free forever.
Part 2. How to Download Spotify Music on Mac – Step by Step Guide
The following is the complete tutorial to use AudFree Spotify Playlist Downloader for Mac to download Spotify songs and playlists on your Mac computer running Mac OSX 10.08 to Mac Mojave. If you don't purchase this software, you can still use its free trial version to have a try.
Tools You'll Need
Free or paid version of AudFree Spotify Music Downloader for Mac
Free or premium Spotify account
The latest Spotify desktop client
A Mac computer running Mac OSX 10.8 to macOS 10.14
- Step 1Import Spotify music and playlists to AudFree
- Double click to launch AudFree Spotify Converter on your computer running Mac operating system, you will see Spotify app installed on Mac will be opened automatically. And then, there are two ways to load Spotify files. One is to drag and drop the target Spotify tracks to the conversion window, the other is to click the 'three-dot' button to choose 'Copy Spotify URL' option and then paste the link to the search box and hit on '+' button to confirm it.
- Step 2Set output format and other audio parameters
- Navigate to the top menu bar of Apple computer and choose 'AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac' > 'Preferences' option to open the setting window. You can start to adjust output audio parameters, like defining output format as MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC or others, customizing output audio quality, such as bit rate, sample rate, audio channels as well as codec. If you are using free Spotify account, you'd better to set bit rate as 320 kbps and sample rate as 414,000 Hz to enhance the audio quality.
- Step 3Remove DRM and download Spotify songs to Mac
- When all things are ready, please simply press the big 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface and then AudFree software will start the downloading process. All added Spotify tracks will be downloaded offline to the local folder on your Mac and converted and saved as unprotected audio files with original ID3 tags preserved. To locate DRM-free Spotify files, just click the 'file' icon to get them with ease.
- Disclaimers: Please don't share the converted Spotify music files to others. In general, it's considered legal to remove DRM protection only for personal use. We just aim to let Spotify users to get better music playback and listen to songs on multiple devices.
Video Guide: How to Download Spotify Music Offline on Mac
Video demo makes the conversion process clearer. You can also follow the below video tutorial to learn how to use AudFree Spotify Music Downloader to download Spotify music to MP3 on Mac.