Powered by Chrome OS as the operating system, Chromebook is a laptop or tablet for work, families or listening, etc. and it is integration with Android apps. When I search the hot topic of Chromebook, to my surprise, there are a larger member of people confused on how to listen to Spotify on Chromebook offline.
By studying the reasons, it could be caused by that Chromebooks made up 60% of computers purchased by schools in 2018, but enjoying audio files from music streaming service could be blocked because of network filters in school. So, today, we will focus on Spotify on Chromebook and introduce the effective ways to download Spotify playlists to Chromebooks for offline listening.
Part 1. Use Spotify on A Chromebook via Spotify Web Player
Featuring with lightweight and the possibility to carry, Chromebook is a wonderful laptop being a tool not only for work and learning but also for music entertainment. As far as we known, there are more and more Spotify and Chrome OS users who would like to install Spotify on Chromebook with the purpose of playing Spotify music offline on Chromebook.
However, when you search the Chrome OS native app for Spotify desktop client on Spotify Community, you will get the official answer: "Sorry for everyone, at this moment we are marking this feature as 'Not Right Now' as we don't have plans for this". What should you do as Spotify native desktop app for Chromebook is not yet available?
Chromebook is compatible with Android apps now. Put it another way, you can control Spotify mobile app on a Chromebook, such as Acer R11, Google Pixelboox, ASUS Flip C213, and others. But you will meet the issue of Spotify on Chromebook not working if your Chromebook is an old one. Fortunately, Spotify also enables users to access to Spotify library through Spotify Web Player using Chrome OS. Now, let’s follow the below steps to run Spotify on Chromebook via Web Player.
Step 1. Launch the web browser you usually use to enter to Spotify Web Player supported by Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Opera. Just type the URL of 'https://open.spotify.com/' on browser address bar to visit this link.
Step 2. If it’s the first time that you used Spotify Web Player, it will pop up a prompt saying 'Playback of protected content is not enabled'. To fix this, please enter to the new browser address bar and type chrome://settings/content to it and check out Enable the web player.
Step 3. Go back to Spotify Web Player and register or sing in your Spotify account. Now, you can start to play and listen to Spotify playlists or albums on Chromebook.
Note: It's unable to download songs, playlists or albums offline on Chromebook using Spotify Web Player as it doesn't support offline playback feature, even subscribing Spotify Premium. To save songs offline, you need to use Spotify mobile app on Chromebook or using the below alternative solution to offline play Spotify on Chromebook. Besides, if you have issues using Spotify Web Player, you can visit this page to find the possible solution: Fix Spotify Web Player Not Working.
Part 2. Download Spotify on Chromebook for Offline Listening via Spotify Converter
Can I download music from Spotify to Chromebook? Of course! Only if you have Spotify Premium subscription and access to music library on Chromebook through Spotify mobile app from Google Play store, it couldn’t easier to get Spotify on Chromebook. But here we’d like to show you an alternative solution to download Spotify playlists to Chromebook to get high quality files because the audio quality on mobile app is only 256kbps.
To refer to this professional way, you need to prepare the following tools, including AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac/Windows, a computer running Mac or Windows operating system as well as Spotify desktop client. AudFree Spotify to Chromebook Converter is designed for free and premium Spotify users to download and convert songs, playlists or albums from Spotify to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B with preserving 100% original quality. Since AudFree Spotify converter can’t directly support Chrome OS, you need to equip with a different OS computer. After conversion, you can listen to Spotify music downloads on Chromebook via syncing music files.
- Step 1Browse and add Spotify Music to AudFree
- By touching the short cut on computer desktop to launch AudFree Spotify Music Converter, Spotify app will be opened automatically. You can directly copy and paste the URL of Spotify tracks to the search box of AudFree if you got some already. Or you can drag and drop music files from Spotify to the conversion window instead.
- Step 2Define output format and other settings for Chromebook
- Spotify music files are encoded in Ogg Vorbis format, which could be not recognized by the media player on your Chromebook. So, you can define the output format as MP3 with high compatibility by clicking the 'Preference' -> 'Convert' button. Besides, if you are using a free Spotify account, you'd better to set bit rate as 320 kbps to enhance the output audio quality.
- Step 3Download Spotfiy tracks to Chromebook supported files
- When all settings done, please simply click the big Convert tab at the bottom-right corner of the main interface and AudFree Spotify Music Converter will start to download added Spotify files and convert them to MP3 at the same time. Generally speaking, it will work at 5X faster speed. Once the converting process finishes, you can locate Spotify MP3 songs on destination folder.
- Step 4Transfer Spotify MP3 downloads to Chromebook
- Congratulation, you get Spotify local files successfully. You can store these audio files to your USB drive and then copy and paste them to your Chromebook local drive. Once uploaded, you can start to listen to Spotify music on Chromebook without Internet connection.
This way could be a little complicate than using Spotify Web Player to listen to Spotify on Chromebook. But it allows Spotify and Chrome OS users to enjoy Spotify files on Chromebook offline with great listening experience. And you don't need to pay for Spotify paying plan every month anymore. It seems a big idea for everyone.