Q: I was attractive by Spotify's offline playback feature and have subscribed its Premium plan to listen to Spotify music on my devices that don't connect to Internet network. But I found out that I can only enjoy offline songs in Spotify app itself. As result, I still can't play music files on devices incompatible with Spotify app. Is it possible to stream Spotify playlist to VLC Media Player so that I can listen to Spotify files on any device via VLC?
Have you tried to transfer Spotify music to VLC player for offline playback? If yes, you might be failed to add music files to VLC, since Spotify files don’t be supported for syncing to other media players directly, including VLC. Why and how can we play Spotify songs on VLC media player? Just read on this article, you will find out the detailed reasons and an effective workaround to fix it out.
Part 1. Why We Can't Stream Spotify Music to VLC
VLC Media Player (also famous as VLC) is one of the most popular free and open-source class-platform media players as well as streaming media servers. As a powerful and professional player, it’s available for a wide variety of desktop operating systems and mobile devices and it is compatible with almost all video and audio formats. In term of audio formats, it supports AAC, FLAC, MP3, Ogg, Real Audio, WMA, etc.
Introduced to this point, you will be confused that Spotify music files are encoded in Ogg Vorbis format and obviously it is included in the list of VLC supported audio formats, why we can't import Spotify tracks to VLC as expected? It's important to note that Spotify applies DRM technology to encrypt its digital files, which aims to protect copyright of the items.
Put it another, if you would like to convert Spotify to VLC media player, you need to remove DRM protection from Spotify files. To achieve this goal, you can't do this by yourself if you don't have a full knowledge of DRM decryption technology. So, why not to use a professional Spotify DRM removal software to help you.
Part 2. AudFree Spotify Music Converter – Remove DRM Protection from Spotify
There are a lot of Spotify music solutions specially designed for Spotify lovers to make Spotify tracks playback better. But compared to the high-quality output quality, excellent features and performance, we highly recommend AudFree Spotify Music Converter.
It is specialized in removing DRM from Spotify songs and download music and playlists from Spotify to local computer for offline listening no matter you are using a free or premium account. Besides, if you like to play Spotify on other media players that can’t support Ogg format, this smart software also can convert Spotify to MP3, FLAC, WAV, M4A, AAC, etc. to meet your needs.
Part 3. Listen to Spotify Songs on VLC – Complete Tutorial
Please make sure you have downloaded and installed AudFree Spotify Music Converter on your Mac or Windows computer. You need to pay attention that this smart program supports free trial version for users to test its functions but it's limited to one-minute conversion length. You need to pay for $19.95 to get the full version. Now, let's start to download Spotify files to computer without DRM protection for playback on VLC.
- Step 1Browser and add Spotify music to AudFree
- Click the software icon to launch AudFree Spotify converter from your comptuer desktop and you will see that Spotify app will be opened automatically at the same time. Now, there are two ways to import Spotify tracks to AudFree. You can drag and drop Spotify files from Spotify to AudFree directly or copy and paste its URL of Spotify music to AudFree's search box and then press the '+' button to confirm it.
- Note: If you are using Spotify Music Converter for Windows, please make sure your Spotify desktop client is the web version instead of Windows Store version, since this software doesn't support that version yet.
- Step 2Customize output audio parameters
- When all files are added to AudFree, you can navigate to the top menu bar and choose Preference -> Converter button to open the setting window, in which you can personalize output audio quality, such as bit rate, sample rate, audio channel, etc. Besides, if you want to get different Spotify files, you can define output format as the one you like in the same window.
- Step 3Remove DRM and download Spotify songs
- Now, please simply hit on the 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main screen and AudFree software will start to convert Spotify tracks to DRM-free audio files. When conversion done, you can locate unprotected Spotify songs on the destination folder and get ready to stream the downloaded Spotify music to VLC player.
- Step 4Play Spotify music on VLC player
- It's time to add Spotify playlists to VLC Media Player for offline playback. Just launch VLC on your computer and touch the Open File or Open Folder button, it will allow you to browser the files on your computer and you can choose the folder including converted Spotify tracks to VLC. Now, you will be free to listen to Spotify files on VLC.