When you come to Spotify Community and search the topic 'Spotify app for Apple TV', you will find out there are many Spotify subscribers like you who think Spotify feature should be available in Apple TV, similar to the available Netflix app. As currently, if you would like to play Spotify music on the Apple TV 4, the only way is getting help from an iPod Touch/iPhone through AirPlay.
According to the latest update from official Spotify staff, the answer could be an Apple TV Spotify app is still 'Not Right Now' as always. So, it's unclear when Spotify tvOS app will be available. In this case, you might wonder to know is there alternative way to achieve it instead of using AirPlay. Obviously, the answer is positive. Here, we will introduce a workaround to put Spotify on Apple TV.
Part 1. Play Spotify on Apple TV: What Tool You'll Need
Most of us have already known that there is the only official way to play Spotify playlist on Apple TV through AirPlay. But please don't miss the powerful feature of Apple TV, which allows users to access digital media files, of course including music tracks on your Mac or Windows computer. Put it another way, to stream Spotify to Apple TV, we just need to download songs, playlists or albums from Spotify to your computer.
But one thing we need to keep in mind is that only Spotify Premium subscribers have the rights to download Spotify songs for offline listening and downloaded music tracks can be playable on Spotify app itself due to DRM protection. So, will we go back to the same question again? Not really! We can use a professional third-party Spotify music downloader that can download unprotected Spotify files.
AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac/Windows is such commercial software, which is designed to download and convert Spotify content to common audio formats without touching original quality for both free and premium Spotify users. With the help of this powerful Spotiy music downloader, you can easily remove DRM from Spotify tracks and convert them to Apple TV compatible formats, like MP3 and AAC.
Part 2. Download Spotify Music as MP3 for Apple TV
Now, you can download this app by clicking the above download button and start to download and convert Spotify files to Apple TV supported audio format. It offers a free trial version to test its performance, but for the full version, you need to pay for $19.95 to get the lifetime license.
- Step 1Add Spotify music/playlists to AudFree
- Launch AudFree Spotify Music Converter on your computer, Spotify app will be loaded automatically. Once logged in your account details, you can discover the favorite Spotify tracks and drag them to the conversion windows directly. Or you can copy and paste the URL of Spotify files to the search box of AudFree software and press '+' button to confirm it.
- Step 2Adjust output settings for Apple TV
- When Spotify music files are uploaded, please enter to the top menu and click the Preference -> Convert button to adjust the basic audio parameters, such as output format, output quality and conversion mode, etc. Here, we highly recommend you to define MP3 as output format for Apple TV and set the bit rate as 320 kbps to enhance the audio quality.
- Step 3Remove DRM and download Spotify Offline
- Once all settings are ready, you can simply click the 'Convert' button to launch the converting process. And all added Spotify music will be downloaded and saved to destination folder on your computer. When done, you can locate them and transfer DRM-free songs to Apple TV by following the steps as below.
Part 3. Stream Spotify to Apple TV from Computer via Home Sharing
From what we mentioned above, we can play Spotify on Apple TV from Mac or Windows PC only if we have downloaded them to local folder on our computer. Now, let's start to sync Spotify music to Apple TV vis Home Sharing. Please make sure your computer and Apple TV connect to the same iTunes account and are under the same home network.
Step 1. Import Spotify Files to iTunes. You need to upload converted Spotify music tracks to your iTunes library firstly. If you don't know how to do it, please visit this detailed tutorial: Transfer Spotify Music to iTunes Library.
Step 2. Launch Home Sharing on your computer. After imported Spotify songs, please click the 'File' at the top menu and select Home Sharing -> Turn n Home Sharing option. Now, please log in your Apple ID and password.
Step 3. Set up Apple TV. You also need to turn the Home Sharing on for Apple TV by clicking Settings -> Accounts -> Home Sharing. Please confirm you enter the same Apple ID as the one using on computer.
Step 4. Play Spotify music through Apple TV. Now, you will see a Computers app on your Apple TV. Just choose it and choose the target Spotify music for playback on Apple TV from your computer.
Now, all downloaded Spotify music can be played on Apple TV, just like installing Spotify app on Apple TV. Have you used this way to listen to Spotify music on Apple TV? If you have any problem in getting Spotify on Apple TV, please leave it on the comment area and we will give the further assistance for you.