Is Spotify on Roku? With the purpose to improve the overall experience, Spotify has removed the Spotify app form Roku TV system on December 22, 2017, and aims to release a better version of Spotify on Roku in the future. The good news comes after a year-long absence as Spotify officially returns to Roku players and TVs running Roku OS 8.2 or higher on October 31, 2018.
Spotify for Roku app is available now. You can start to launch Spotify app on Roku and use a Roku remote to navigate the Spotify channel or just stream Spotify to Roku via Spotify Connect. Can't wait to listen to ad-free Spotify music on Roku? Here, we'll show the detailed tutorial to get Spotify on Roku for Spotify premium users and an alternative workaround to use Spotify on Roku for Spotify free users.
Part 1. How to Get Spotify on Roku with Spotify Premium
Can you get Spotify on Roku? Because Spotify is back to Spotify now, the answer must be yes. But it's also worth mentioning that you need to upgrade to Spotify Premium to get the rights to access Spotify music library on Roku. By the way, Spotify paid users can enjoy improved music quality without ads and limited skips, it worths for this money. If you are subscribing Spotify Premium and using Roku OS 8.2 or higher Roku, you can refer to the following steps to install and use Spotify app on Roku TV.
Step 1. Navigate to the 'Home' button on Roku TV and this will show the available options for your choice.
Step 2. Scroll down the options to choose 'streaming channels' and view all visible channels using Roku remote.
Step 3. Please search 'Spotify' on the Roku Store to find Spotify app and select the 'Add channel' option to install Spotify on Roku.
Step 4. Now you can open Spotify app and start to discover favorite songs you'd like to play on Roku. Also, you can choose the 'Playlist' option to view created playlists and play them on Roku.
Part 2. How to Use Spotify on Roku without Premium
Just like the hottest Apple Music in the U.S., Spotify, as the world's largest streaming music service, has applied Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology to protect digital media copyright. Due to DRM protection, free Spotify users can't access to music and playlists on Roku TV and Roku player.
Roku is capable of streaming local music files. To make it possible to listen to Spotify playlist on TV through Roku, we just need to get a powerful Spotify music downloader to download Spotify tracks to our computer as the local audio files and cast downloaded Spotify files to Roku player.
Here, we can meet AudFree Spotify Playlist Downloader, which is specialized in removing DRM from Spotify songs and downloading Spotify music and playlists as MP3, FLAC, AAC, WAV, M4A and M4B with high quality kept. Thanks to this smart Spotify downloader, you can stream unprotected Spotify playlist on Roku without Premium.
Before syncing Spotify songs to Roku, we need to use AudFree Music Converter for Spotify to bypass Spotify DRM lock and download Spotify playlist to MP3 via the following step-by-step tutorial. After that, it couldn't be easier to play Spotify music on Roku.
- Step 1Import Spotify music or playlist to AudFree
- When launched Spotify Music Converter from AudFree, you will see that Spotify app will be opened automatically on your computer. And you can discover the target Spotify music that you’d like to stream to Roku and drag and drop them to the conversion window of AudFree. Or you can copy and paste the URL of Spotify tracks to the search box and click '+' button.
- Step 2Set Spotify output format for Roku
- Once all Spotify songs are uploaded to AudFree completely, please navigate to the top menu and choose the 'Preference' to open a new window, in which you can adjust output audio settings, such as defining output format as MP3 or other common formats and changing the output quality, like bit rate, sample rate, audio channel, etc.
- Step 3Convert Spotify playlist for Roku TV
- Please click the 'Convert' button at the lower-right corner of the main interface, and AudFree software will start to convert Spotify Ogg Vorbis to Roku compatible formats, like MP3 while removing DRM protection from imported Spotify music. Once done, you can find high-quality Spotify files in the 'history folder'.
- Step 4Stream Spotify Playlist to Roku for Playback on TV
- Now, songs, playlist or albums from Spotify are not protected by DRM technology. It's a piece of cake to cast Spotify downloads to Roku for offline listening. You can stream Spotify playlist to Roku via an USB flash drive or a mobile phone. Here, I will give the detailed tutorial on using USB drive to get Spotify on Roku.
Step 1. Plug in USB drive to the USB port on your computer and transfer downloaded Spotify music to USB drive via copying&pasting action.
Step 2. Pull out the USB stick from your computer and insert it to the USB port on your Roku set-top box.
Step 3. If you don't install Roku Media Player on your Roku, please download it from Roku Channel Store. And it will give you the one-by-one screen instruction to finish the setup. If yes, please touch the USB icon showing up on it.
Step 4. Now, you can select the Spotify folder on your USB drive and click 'OK' to begin to listen to Spotify playlist on Roku freely.
Part 3. Bottom Line
There is no gainsaying that the best way to get Spotify playlist on Roku is via Spotify app. But if you are using a free Spotify account or Spotify app is not working on Roku, we can use the alternative way to make Spotify available on Roku player temporarily so that we can listen to Spotify songs, playlists and albums on TV via Roku without a problem.
Now you can follow this step-by-step tutorial to stream Spotify songs and playlists to Roku TV for playback with the help of AudFree Music Converter for Spotify.
If you have trouble in using Spotify on Roku, please share with us in the comment section below.