Is Spotify on Roku? With the purpose to improve the overall experience, Spotify has removed the Spotify app form Roku TV system on December 22, 2017 and aims to release a better version of Spotify on Roku in the future. As consequence, Spotify music lovers are unable to download Spotify playlist on Roku for streaming to TV.
As months have gone, there is still no Spotify app available for Roku launched by Spotify in the market. Most of Spotify subscribers have the same question asked to Spotify: when is Spotify going to come back on Roku? Unfortunately, you won't discover an exact returning date from its official statement. However, is there no choice but to wait for Spotify returning to Roku? Not really! Here, we'll show an alternative workaround to use Spotify on Roku.
Part 1. One-stop Spotify Playlist Downloader to Get Spotify on Roku
What We Should Know about Spotify Music & DRM
Just like the hottest Apple Music in the U.S., Spotify, as the world's largest streaming music service, has applied Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology to protect digital media copyright. Due to DRM protection, free Spotify users can listen to Spotify music online only, which means that they don't have the option of download. With upgrading to Spotify Premium account, you have the ability of downloading Spotify songs for offline playback. But you are still unable to locate and transfer Spotify downloads to other devices, like Roku.
Excellent AudFree Spotify Music Downloader
Roku is capable of streaming local music files. To make it possible to listen to spotify playlist on TV through Roku, we just need to get a powerful Spotify music downloader to download Spotify tracks to our computer as the local audio files and cast downloaded Spotify files to Roku player. Here, we can meet AudFree Spotify Playlist Downloader, which is specialized in removing DRM from Spotify songs and downloading any content from Spotify offline as MP3, FLAC, AAC, WAV, M4A and M4B with high quality kept. Thanks to this smart Spotify downloader, you can stream unprotected Spotify playlist on Roku without Premium.
Part 2. Guide: Download Spotify Music without DRM Protection
Before syncing Spotify songs to Roku, we need to use AudFree Music Converter for Spotify to bypass Spotify DRM lock and download Spotify playlists as MP3 via the following step-by-step tutorial.
- Step 1Import Spotify music or playlist to AudFree
- When launched Spotify Music Converter from AudFree, you will see that Spotify app will be opened automatically on your computer. And you can discover the target Spotify music that you’d like to stream to Roku and drag and drop them to the conversion window of AudFree. Or you can copy and paste the URL of Spotify tracks to the search box and click '+' button.
- Step 2Set output format as MP3
- Once all Spotify songs are uploaded to AudFree completely, please navigate to the top menu and choose the 'Preference' to open a new window, in which you can adjust output audio settings, such as defining output format as MP3 or other common formats and changing the output quality, like bit rate, sample rate, audio channel, etc.
- Step 3Remove DRM from Spotify palylist
- Please click the 'Convert' button at the lower-right corner of the main interface, and AudFree software will start to convert Spotify Ogg Vorbis to Roku compatible formats, like MP3 while removing DRM protection from imported Spotify music. Once done, you can find high-quality Spotify files in the 'history folder'.
Part 3. Stream non-DRM Spotify Playlist to Roku for Playback on TV
Now, songs, playlist or albums from Spotify are not protected by DRM technology. It's a piece of cake to cast Spotify downloads to Roku for offline listening. You can stream Spotify playlist to Roku via an USB flash drive or a mobile phone. Here, I will give the detailed tutorial on using USB drive to play Spotify on Roku.
Step 1. Plug in USB drive to the USB port on your computer and transfer downloaded Spotify music to USB drive via copying&pasting action.
Step 2. Pull out the USB stick from your computer and insert it to the USB port on your Roku set-top box.
Step 3. If you don't install Roku Media Player on your Roku, please download it from Roku Channel Store. And it will give you the one-by-one screen instruction to finish the setup. If yes, please touch the USB icon showing up on it.
Step 4. Now, you can select the Spotify folder on your USB drive and click 'OK' to begin to listen to Spotify playlist on Roku freely.
There is no gainsaying that the best way to get Spotify playlist on Roku is via Spotify app. Since we are not sure when Spotify is going to be available on Roku again, we can use the above alternative way to stream music from Spotify to Roku player temporarily so that we can listen to Spotify songs, playlists and albums on TV via Roku.
Video Demo: Stream Spotify Playlists to Roku TV
Now you can follow this step-by-step tutorial to stream Spotify songs and playlists to Roku TV for playback with the help of AudFree Music Converter for Spotify.
If you have any other great solution to make Spotify tracks enjoyable on Roku, please share with us in the comment section below.