Can I add Spotify playlist to Windows Media Player? I'm the newbie to Spotify and have subscribed the Spotify Premium to make the Download option available. My question is that how can transfer downloaded Spotify music to Windows Media Player so I can burn Spotify to a CD for playing them on CD player? - From Spotify Community.
As a music streaming service, Spotify offers users to listen to songs and playlists within Spotify itself only as you can download songs to your Spotify app for offline listening rather than get stored on your computer. As a result, it's impossible to copy Spotify songs in the way that you are thinking. Fortunately, there is alternative workaround to export Spotify playlist to Windows Media Player to get better playback. If you are interested in this topic, you can read on this article to get the answer.
Part 1. Why You Can't Transfer Spotify Playlist to Windows Media Player
As a matter of fact, with the Spotify Premium subscription, there is a direct Download service in Spotify app itself, which will allow users to put music on Windows Media Player from Spotify with ease. But this powerful feature of Spotify is only available in Europe currently. Put it another way, you are unable to transfer Spotify to WMP directly in other countries. In general, you can only cache Spotify files yet not get local files, which is totally different from traditional songs purchased from iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Music, etc.
There is no doubt that Windows Media Player (short for WMP) is one of the powerful media players, with which you can stream and play audios and videos along with fast forward, reverse and variable playback speed as well as burn music files to CD, etc. And Windows Media Player supports a wide variety of audio formats, like MP3, WAV, etc. perfectly. However, it’s important to note that Spotify tracks are encoded in special Ogg Vorbis format that is not included in the list of WMP compatible audio formats. It's also one key reason why you can't play Spotify Music on Windows Media Player.
Part 2. Best Spotify Music Converter – Play Spotify on Windows Media Player
From what we discussed above, to listen to Spotify music on Windows Media Player, we need to get two professional Spotify tools, one for downloading Spotify songs to computer's local folder and the other for converting Spotify music to MP3 or other WMP supported audio formats. Fortunately, there are some all-in-one Spotify music downloader and converter provided by software developers in the market, with which you can download and convert Spotify playlist to Windows Media Player compatible files.
AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac/Windows is such a commercial Spotify solution, which is specialized in downloading Spotify tracks for both free and paid Spotify subscribers and convert them to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B with 100% original quality and ID3 tags preserved. Plus, it offers the option of classifying output Spotify tracks by artist or album to manage music library easier. Before purchasing this great software, you can download the free trail version to test its performance firstly. The only difference between free and paying version is that the one-minute limitation of output file length for each song.
- Step 1Load Spotify songs to AudFree
- If you have already gotten the URL of Spotify music tracks, you can directly copy it the AudFree’s search box after launched Spotify Music Converter for computer desktop and press the '+' button to add music files to AudFree. Or you can drag and drop favorite songs or playlists from Spotify to the conversion windows of AudFree software directly.
- Step 2Define output format for Windows Media Player
- If you would like to get the lossless output audio files, you'd better to set WAV as the output format but it will be a very large output file. Of course, you can depend on your special demands to set the output format as MP3, M4A, AAC, etc. Please don't forget that you can customize the output music quality by changing the bit rate, sample rate and more as you like.
- Step 3Download and convert Spotify music/playlists
- Now, you can hit on the 'Convert' button to start converting Spotify music to the audio format you choose. To make the conversion process stable, you're suggested to disable the Firewall or Anti-versus software during the converting time. Note: This software can download Spotify files with a free account, you don't need to pay for the Spotify Premium fee.
Part 3. How to Import Converted Spotify Playlist to Windows Media Player
Spotify files are saved in the local folder on your computer and you can locate them on the destination folder or history folder. Now, you can get down to put Spotify music to Windows Media Player. The latest version of WMP is Windows Media Player. Now, let’s see how to import Spotify files to WMP as below.
Step 1. Fire up Windows Media Player 12 on your computer and you will get the main interface of it.
Step 2. Please navigate to the main menu at the top-left corner and click on the 'Organize'/'Files' and then select 'Manage Libraries' -> 'Music' option.
Step 3. Now, please touch the 'Add' button, it will pop up a new window, in which you can browse and find the target local folder including Spotify playlist.
Step 4. Once found out, please choose this folder and Spotify playlists will be uploaded into Windows Media Player for playback.
By the way, you can also start to burn CD from via WMP. If you would like to use Windows Media Player to burn Spotify playlist to a CD for enjoying Spotify on CD player, there is a detailed tutorial for your reference: How to Burn Spotify to CD via Windows Media Player.