Volumio is a music player for users to collect and control all music in one place. It is free, open-source and compatible with most common music formats such as MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, ALAC, DSD, and many others. Designed for audiophile music playback, you can use Volumio to listen to any high-quality music on multiple devices, including PC, microcomputers, Raspberry PI and more mobile devices.
With fine-tuned music quality and compatibility, it is easy to integrate your favorite songs from different streaming music sites to Volumio. In this article, I will take Spotify as an example to teach you the best way to use Spotify on Volumio without premium and figure out the issue of "Volumio Spotify not working".
Part 1. Add Spotify Playlist to Volumio: Volumio Spotify Plugin
The direct way to listen to Spotify music on Volumio is to install the Volumio Spotify plugin. But it should be noticed that this method is only available for Spotify premium or family accounts. Now let's see how to install the Volumio Spotify Plugin in detail.
From the very beginning, you should check and remove the existed plugin by using the WebUI plugins page. Then continue to install the latest version of the Volumio Spotify plugin.
Step 1. Please click to https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/SSH.html to enable SSH to Volumio.
Step 2. Access Volumio Spotify plugin by type in the following commands:
miniunzip volspotconnect2.zip -d ./volspotconnect2
volumio plugin install
rm -Rf volspotconnect*
Step 3. In the Volumio WebUI page, please go to the plugin section and installed it. Then you will see volspotconnect2. Please enable it. Now you can go to the plugin settings page to modify some parameters.
Now you can enjoy your favorite tracks from Spotify on Volumio.
Part 2. Volumio Spotify Not Working: Best Alternative of Volumio Spotify Plugin
If you have met some trouble like "Spotify connect Volumio no sound", "Volumio Spotify not working" or etc. when trying to play Spotify playlists on Volumio, here is the best solution for you.
How to Connect Spotify to Volumio without Premium
Let' s check this outstanding Spotify converting software called AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Volumio, which is specialized in downloading and converting Spotify to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A, M4B, and many more common formats with losing 0% quality and 0% metadata.
Utilizing the latest technology, this smart tool is able to recognize and save full ID3 tags such as artists, albums, titles and etc. in the converted music files. Except for the amazing features above, AudFree is small in size but runs pretty fast. The amazing converting speed could up to 5X faster under a normal network condition. In the registered version, at most 100 songs can be processed successfully in a once-through conversion.
Now let's check the detail of how to download and stream Spotify music to the Volumio player.
- Step 1Import songs from Spotify to AudFree
- Open AudFree Spotify Music Converter. The Spotify app will automatically open followed. Just drag and drop the song from Spotify to the main interface of AudFree. Then hit the '+' icon. Or you can copy the link of the track or playlist or album, and paste it to the search box in AudFree. Wait until it is added to AudFree.
- Step 2Edit the output settings for Volumio
- On the Windows device, please check the menu icon from the top title bars of AudFree. Then choose Preferences > Convert. On the Mac device, please direct to the system's menu on the top-left corner of the whole screen. Then tap AudFree Spotify Music Converter to open the settings page of AudFree, in which you can tweak the output parameters such as format, bit rate, sample rate, channel, etc.
- Step 3Download Spotify songs for Volumio
- When you have finished the settings above, please press the Save button to confirm the results. Then hit to Convert button to begin the converting process. After the conversion is finished, please follow the on-screen prompts to access the local folder where store the downloaded local Spotify tracks.
Now you can listen to Spotify music on the computer via a Volumio music player for PC. Or you can transfer Spotify music to USB sticks or move Spotify music to SD card for playback on Volumio music player for Raspberry Pi or others.
Tips: Enhance Listening Experience on Volumio
NanoSound DAC is a Raspberry Pi Add-on Board, which has HIFI DAC, LDO Voltage Regulator, OLED Display, Power Switch, and i2S audio interface. You can use it to enhance the music quality of your Raspberry Pi.
Besides, if you would like to see the artist and album displayed on Volumio's web interface,
you can refer to the instruction below to change the settings. Also, this method is only used by Spotify premium account.
Step 1. Search and install the "Volumio Spotify Connect2" plugin.
Step 2. Enable the "Volumio Spotify Connect2" plugin. It is also supported to change the output settings.
Step 3. Launch Spotify app and you will see "Volumio" under devices.
Step 4. Upgrade your NanoSound DAC to 1.4.2 or above. Now you can see artist and album names on NanoSound when connecting to Spotify.