After you have added transitions, cut video clips, overlaid titles and others for your iMovie project, It's time to consider adding soundtrack to iMovie as background music. To get high-quality music for your video in iMovie, Tidal seems a nice music library with over 60 tracks, in which you can discover favorite 'high quality' or HiFi tracks.
Is it easy to edit Tidal songs on iMovie? Although it's easy to add your own music to iMovie for editing, it's not straightforward to import Tidal audio tracks to iMovie as Tidal music tracks are music streams that can't directly take out of Tidal app to adhere to copyright laws. You need to follow the below complete tutorial to add music from Tidal to iMovie.
Part 1. What's iMovie - Everything We Know about iMovie
iMovie is the Apple's official free video editing program, which enables uses to create and edit a video presentation or a stunning 4K-resolution movie on MacOS and iOS devices. It comes with lots of wonderful and amazing features, such as studio-quality titles, extra-special effects, high-fidelity filters, sound effects, sharing movie project to popular video sharing sites, etc.
Apart from featuring so many built-in functions, iMovie also supports a wide variety of video formats, audio formats, still-image formats as well as container formats. All of them will aim to create an excellent movie. Here, we will give the detailed introduction to compatible video and audio formats supported by iMovie.
iMovie Supported Video File Formats: MOV, HDV, DV, H.264, MP4G-4, AVCHD, MPEG-2, MP4
iMovie Support Audio File Formats: AAC, AIFF, BWF, CAF, MP3, MP4, RF64, WAV
Part 2. How to Add Music to iMovie from Tidal
From the detailed introduction to iMoive, there are certain audio formats being compatible with iMovie. However, it's still not able to support streaming music, including Tidal music. It's well-known that just like other streaming music services, Tidal music files are encrypted by DRM technology in order to comply with music policies. No matter you can subscribing Tidal Premium or HiFi plan, you have no rights to export Tidal music and playlist downloads to other programs for using.
To upload Tidal music to iMovie, you should get the unprotected Tidal files on your local Mac computer in advance. As a result, here, we will meet a powerful Tidal Music Converter, called AudFree Tidal Music Converter for Mac, which can not only remove DRM from Tidal music, playlists, and albums but also download and convert Tidal songs to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B within near 100% lossless audio quality preserved. It can also save all ID3 tags in the converted Tidal files well.
How to Convert Tidal Sound Tracks for iMovie
You can download and convert Tidal music to iMovie compatible audio files on Mac and Windows operating system with the help of AudFree Tidal Music Converter. Since iMovie is only available for macOS, here, we will take Mac version as example to show you how it works. Please note that you need to purchase the full version to unlock the limited conversion time.
- Step 1Add Tidal songs to AudFree Tidal converter
- AudFree Tidal Music Converter needs to work well with Tidal desktop app. Please make sure you have downloaded and installed it on your Mac before get started. And then you can click the AudFree software icon to launch Tidal Music Converter and Tidal app at the same time. Now, just find the Tidal music you'd like to export to iMovie, copy and paste the Tidal track link to the search box of AudFree and click the '+' button to load them.
- Step 2Customize Tidal audio parameters for iMovie
- iMovie supports AAC, AIFF, BWF, CAF, MP3, MP4, RF64 and WAV while AudFree Tidal Music Converter can define output format as MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B. After compared together, you can click the 'AudFree Tidal Music Converter' from the Apple's top right menu bar to select the 'Preferences' and 'Convert' section to open setting window, where you can adjust output format as AAC, MP3 or WAV. Besides, you can adjust other audio parameters as you like.
- Step 3Download and convert Tidal playlist for iMovie
- Now, it's time to get rid of DRM protection from added Tidal music and convert them to iMovie supported audio files. Just click the big 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner, it will start to download and convert Tidal files to unprotected audio files that will be saved in the local audio folder on your computer. When the conversion process finishes, you can hit on the 'file' icon to locate them directly.
Part 3. How to Add Converted Tidal Music to iMovie Project
Now, there is no problem to insert Tidal music to your video project in iMovie. It's never been easier to make it possible. Let's see the simple tutorial on how to put Tidal music to iMovie on macOS and iOS device.
Import Music to iMovie on a Mac
Just open the iMovie video editing tool on your computer and open the video clips, and then please click the 'File' > 'Import' button to browse the local media folders on your Mac computer. Once found out, please highlight the file and click the 'Open' to import the file.
Tips: The other way is to add music to your iMovie video from iTunes library. Please make sure you have transferred Tidal music to iTunes library. Now, please hit on the 'Audio' button in the top left and then you can search the favorite songs and add them from the entire iTunes library.
Import Music to iMovie on iOS Device
If your Tidal songs are saved in iTunes library, please click the '+' button to select 'Audio' in the iMovie project, and then tap 'Songs' to upload target Tidal music you'd like to use to iMovie. If they are in iCloud Drive, please click the 'iCloud Drive' tab to discover the Tidal music.
Now, you can start to edit Tidal music on iMovie. When all settings are done, please don't forget to export your exclusive video project.