Q: When I click the 'Home' button on Roku and choose 'streaming channels' to search Tidal on Roku, there is nothing in the related result. Is Tidal available on Roku? If not, how about accessing to Tidal via Plex Media app on Roku streaming stick?
Up to now, there is no official Tidal for Roku app that allows users to listen to Tidal music on Roku directly. Just as you thought, some users were able to use Tidal on Roku with the Plex + Tidal integration. Unfortunately, Plex has removed the Tidal compatibility with Roku app in February 2019. As a consequence, this way works for users who didn't update Roku.
If you are one of the lucky users, you can follow the below tutorial to learn how to access Tidal feature from Plex Roku app. If not, please don't be discouraged. In this article, we will also introduce an effective way to get Tidal on Roku without using the Plex Media Roku app.
Part 1. How to Get Tidal on Roku via Plex Media App
Through the integration of Tidal and Plex, Tidal streaming music service is brought to the media center app. No need to add a plugin subscribe a Plex Pass plan, you can discover and play Tidal high-quality FLAC music on many popular devices and players, like Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Plex Media Player, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, etc. via the Plex app. Without a doubt, the older version of Roku TV also supports accessing linked Tidal content. Let's see how it works.
Step 1. Please create a Plex account. If you have one, just skip this and visit your Account page in the web app.
Step 2. Now, please click the 'Other Services' option to choose 'Link your Tidal account'.
Step 3. Then you will navigate to Tidal site to authorize Tidal account by logging in your account details.
Step 4. Install Plex Preview on your Roku stick and log in your Plex account on TV via Roku.
Step 5. Just start discovering Tidal music and playlists and listening to Tidal on Roku without a problem.
Note: If you referred to the above steps but still couldn't find Tidal on Roku, it could be caused by the Roku version. You can directly use the second way to cast Tidal on Roku. Also, there is a source page for your reference to add Tidal to Plex.
Part 2. How to Play Tidal on Roku via USB Port
Can you stream Tidal on Roku without Plex? As we all know that Roku TV is available to play local music from USB flash drive via Roku Media Player. To listen to Tidal music on Roku, we can also try to download Tidal music as local files and then transfer Tidal music to a USB drive so that we can access to Tidal from a USB stick.
With Tidal Premium or HiFi subscription, we have the ability to download Tidal music for offline listening but the offline Tidal playlists are cache files that can't be located. To get Tidal offline local music, here, we will meet AudFree Tidal Converter for Tidal, which is well-designed to download music, playlists, albums from Tidal and convert Tidal to MP3, FLAC, WAV or other Roku compatible audio files in high quality. It works at 5X faster speed when downloading Tidal songs with ID3 tags preserved.
By playing Tidal streaming service on Roku, you need to use AudFree Music Converter for Tidal to download Tidal music and transfer downloaded Tidal songs to USB flash drive. The following is the complete guide. Besides, it's important to note that you need to purchase the full version of AudFree Tidal Converter to unlock the conversion-time limitation. Otherwise, you will locate the 1-minute song of each track.
- Step 1Add Tidal songs to AudFree Tidal downloader
- To add Tidal music that you'd like to use on Tidal to AudFree Music Converter for Tidal, here is a simple yet effective way to do this. You just need to discover Tidal music on the opening Tidal app and tap the item to click 'three-dot' icon to choose 'Share' > 'Copy Playlist Link' to copy the Tidal link. After that, please paste it to the search box of AudFree's and simply press the '+' button to load them.
- Step 2Customize Tidal output settings for Roku
- Roku officially supports a wide variety of audio formats, including AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA, AIFF, FLAC and ALAC. So you can click the top menu on Windows or 'AudFree Tidal Music Converter' from Apple's menu on Mac to choose 'Preferences' > 'Convert' to define output format as FLAC, WAV, MP3 or AAC that can be compatible with Roku stick. What's more, you allow to customize bit rate, sample rate, etc.
- Step 3Download and convert Tidal for getting on Roku
- Please simply press the 'Convert' button of AudFree Tidal Converter after all settings are ready. It will start to download and convert Tidal music and playlists to target audio files and all Tidal downloads will be saved on your computer. You can locate them by clicking the 'file' icon or 'history' > 'search' icon. After that, please pair your USB to your computer via USB port and transfer Tidal songs to USB drive via copying&pasting action.
- Step 4Stream Tidal to Roku for Playback on TV
Step 1. Plug in USB drive from your computer and then insert it to your smart TV.
Step 2. Just open Roku Media Player and click the 'Audio' button to access to audio files.
Step 3. Next, you can choose USB device from the menu and then locate Tidal music for playback on Roku.
Part 3. Bottom Line
Here, we are showing two effective ways on how to get Tidal on Roku for playing Tidal music and playlists on a smart TV or other speakers. You can test the first way to see whether it works. If not, the second way is recommended as no matter you are using which Roku device, it works well to cast Tidal on Roku.