Is there any direct tutorial to guide me on how to add Spotify on Kodi? I would like to collect my all digital media files on Kodi so that I can manage and enjoy them in one place. I have already sync movies, TV shows, photos and podcasts to Kodi, but I have problem in transferring Spotify music library to Kodi for playback. What should I do to fix it out?
As one of the powerful free and open-source media players, Kodi not only enable users to play and stream media content, such as videos, music, podcasts, etc. from the Internet but also allows users to access to local files. However, things could be different when it comes to Spotify on Kodi, since Spotify playlists are encoded in protected Ogg Vorbis format. Fortunately, there are still two effective workarounds to connect Spotify to Kodi. Let's see how.
Part 1. Install Spotify on Kodi via Add-ons Way
When we talking about the best way to listen to Spotify playlist on Kodi media player, most of us will think of whether Spotify app is compatible with Kodi or not. Although there is not official Spotify for Kodi app for you to make Spotify available in Kodi, when you search the way on Google, you will find out there are some Spotify Kodi add-ons that can help you access Spotify music app on Kodi.
Now, you can choose your favorite Spotify Kodi add-ons, such as Marcelveldt Repository and SPOTIMC. If you are the first time to use it, it seems a difficult task to finish the operation process. To avoid unnecessary hassle, you can take one as example to show you the detailed steps to get Spotify on Kodi. Besides, please make sure you have subscribed Spotify Premium already. This way works for Spotify paid users.
Step 1. Before launching Kodi, you need to download the Marcelveldt Repository zip file and save it to your computer.
Step 2. Open Kodi player on your computer and select 'System' -> 'Add-Ons' menu on your left and then please click the 'Package Installer' icon.
Step 3. Hit on Install from Zip File from the list, browser the downloaded files to find repository.marcelveldt.zip and click it to upload.
Step 4. Navigate to Install from Repository and select 'Marcelveldt's BETA repository'-> Music Add-ons -> Spotify -> Install button. The downloading will start.
Step 5. When there is an add-on enabled notification, please choose Spotify again and then click 'Configure' button. It will pop up a new window, in which you need to enter to your Spotify account details as required.
Step 6. Please go back to Kodi Home and enter to 'Add-ons' -> 'Music Add-ons' option. Now, you can choose Spotify and start to enjoy Spotify files on Kodi freely.
Part 2. Upload Spotify Music to Kodi from Local Drive
If the above way is still complicate to you, you can try the following alternative way. From what we discussed at the beginning, we all know that Kodi can play digital files from local storage media. Although Spotify music files are protected and encoded in Ogg format, which can't be recognized by Kodi directly, we can use the third-party Spotify converter to convert Spotify songs and playlists to unprotected Kodi supported audio formats, such as MP3.
AudFree Spotify Music Converter is such a commercial music converting tool for Spotify. It's specialized in downloading songs, playlists or albums from Spotify to local files while converting them to common audio formats, including MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B at the same time. Plus, it can preserve 100% lossless sound quality with all ID3 tags kept. It costs $19.95 to get the full version, but it can work well with Spotify app even you are using a free Spotify account, which means it can make it possible for Spotify Kodi without Premium.
- Step 1Import Spotify music to AudFree
- Open AudFree Spotify Music Converter on your Mac or Windows computer. There are two ways for you to add songs and playlists from Spotify to AudFree. You can choose to drag and drop tracks to the coversion window of AudFree or copy and paste the URL of Spotify files to the search box instead.
- Step 2Customize output format for Kodi
- To set the output format as Kodi supported one, please navigate to the top menu bar and click the 'Preference' -> Convert option to open the setting window, where you can customize output format and other audio parameters, such as bit rate, sample rate, etc.
- Step 3Download and convert Spotify playlist
- Now, you just need to press the 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface and then AudFree software will start to remove DRM from Spotify tracks and convert Spotify to Kodi supported MP3 files. Generally, the conversion speed could be at up to 5X faster speed.
- Step 4 Add converted Spotify music to Kodi
- Now, you can locate the unprotected downloaded Spotify MP3 files in the destination folder on your computer. You can launch Kodi and start to add converted Spotify files to Kodi for playback.