YouTube Music has been a popular music player recently. You can get abundant music resources and customize your own playlist for convenient listening to it. YouTube Music can be used in web browsers with no additional app. You also can download a YouTube Music app on your mobile devices to use more music functions. Do you want to know how to play YouTube Music in the background when you play games, read books, or do other things in your daily life? This article is going to provide some available methods to help you.
- Part 1. Can YouTube Music Play in the Background
- Part 2. How to Make YouTube Music Play in the Background [Premium]
- Part 3. How to Play YouTube Music in Background without Premium
- Play YouTube Music in the Background via AudFree Audio Capture
- Play YouTube Music in Background via Desktop Site
- Part 4. Summary
Part 1. Can YouTube Music Play in the Background
You may wonder and search for 'Can YouTube Music play in the background'. Actually, YouTube Music only allows its Premium users to play music in the background by its mobile app. That is to say, YouTube Music Premium subscribers can use other apps when they listen to their preferred music on YouTube Music on phones.
What about users who use the web browser on a computer or do not purchase a YouTube Music Premium? Unfortunately, YouTube Music does not support you playing YouTube Music in the background in the official way. But don't worry. Here we have methods for you. Please follow our steps to make your dream come true.
See also: How to Get YouTube Music Premium Free
Part 2. How to Make YouTube Music Play in the Background [Premium]
With a Premium membership, it is really easy to make YouTube Music play in background on your phone. Besides the background play function, you also can get other creative music features after subscribing to YouTube Music's paid plan. Functions like ad-free, offline playing, higher-quality music, etc. Now, let's learn how to make YouTube Music play in the background with Premium.
Step 1. Open your YouTube Music app on Android or iPhone devices.
Step 2. Locate and play the song, playlist or album you want to stream in the background. You can find your wanted audio from your YouTube Music 'Library' or by typing its name on the top-line 'Explore' bar.
Step 3. Next, you can use other apps on your phone or lock the phone's screen for background play.
Part 3. How to Play YouTube Music in Background without Premium
How to play YouTube Music in background without Premium when you use a free version of YouTube Music or want to use YouTube Music on your computer? The following section will show you how to reach it easily.
1️⃣ How to Play YouTube Music in the Background Anywhere via AudFree Audio Capture
With a remarkable third-party tool, AudFree Audio Capture, you can get YouTube Music resources on your computer and transfer them to any music players you want. Therefore, you will find an available way to solve 'how to play YouTube Music in the background' anywhere. Moreover, this AudFree software doesn't need a YouTube Music Premium to download songs. You can simply use it to record and edit songs from the YouTube Music web version for free as well as a Premium plan.
Besides, you can convert YouTube Music audio to 6 frequently-used formats, including MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, M4A, and M4B. Please note that the converted files are editable which is different from the YouTube Music official downloaded files. The files downloaded from YouTube Music officially are cached and protected.
- Step 1Launch AudFree Audio Capture
- First, please download and install the AudFree Audio Capture. Then, double-click to open it. Check the provided software if supports using YouTube Music. If you want to add new software, simply click the '+' option or drag & drop an existing app from your PC.
- Step 2Set YouTube Music output formats
- Click the 'Audio' button on the bottom right side to go to the output settings window. Now, you can set some supported settings for your YouTube Music audio. After finishing, just click the 'OK' option.
- Step 3Capture YouTube Music audio
- Next, open software that supports YouTube Music in the AudFree to go to YouTube Music. Log into your YouTube Music account and play a song. The capture will record sound from YouTube Music.
- Step 4Edit YouTube Music recorded audio
- Then you can edit the recordings by clicking the 'Edit' button. Next, hit the 'Save' option to download YouTube Music to your computer. You can locate the saved files by hitting the lower-right 'Converted' icon. Therefore, you are able to play YouTube Music in background for free on your computer directly. Also, you can sync the downloads to your phone's music players for playing in the background.
2️⃣ How to Play YouTube Music in Background Android & iPhone Freely via Desktop Site
There is another way to solve 'how to get YouTube Music to play in background'. It is to use the 'desktop site' function on your phone's browser. It is a free way but you only can use on phones.
Step 1. Go to the 'Settings' app on your Android or iPhone. Tap 'Apps' > 'YouTube Music'.
Step 2. Then, tap the 'Set as default' option and you will get a new page.
Step 3. On the new page, you should select 'Open supported links' > 'In other app'.
Step 4. Now, please open your Google Chrome browser on your mobile phone and go to https://music.youtube.com/.
Step 5. Sign up or log into your YouTube Music account. Play your favorite song and tap 'three dots' from the top-right corner.
Step 6. Then select the 'Desktop site' option > 'Reload'. Please wait for seconds and then play the song again on the new YouTube Music interface.
Part 4. Summary
The methods above help you know how to play YouTube Music in the background on desktop and mobile with or without Premium. You can buy a YouTube Music Premium to play YouTube Music in background directly as well as freely listen to YouTube Music in the background via the browser desktop site function. Besides, we recommend a practical method which is to use the AudFree Audio Capture. This way helps you edit and save YouTube Music songs for free and you can play them in the background on any device.