Q: "Is there any useful guide on how to add Spotify on Kodi? I would like to collect my all digital media files on Kodi so that I can manage and enjoy them in one place. I have already sync movies, TV shows, photos and podcasts to Kodi, but I have trouble in transferring Spotify music library to Kodi for playback. What should I do to fix it out?"
As one of the powerful free and open-source media players, Kodi not only allows playing and stream media content, such as videos, music, podcasts, etc. from the Internet, but also supports accessing to local files. However, things could be different when it comes to syncing Spotify to Kodi. Since Spotify playlists are encoded in protected Ogg Vorbis format, you have no forthright method to export Spotify music for Kodi.
Get discouraged by this hard fact? It is not at all worth it. This page focusing on Spotify on Kodi, collecting two effective workarounds to connect Spotify to Kodi. Let's see how.
Part 1. How to Use Spotify Kodi without Premium
From what we discussed at the beginning, it is known that Kodi can play digital files from local storage media. Although Spotify music files are digitally protected with Ogg Vorbis format, which can't be recognized by Kodi directly, we can use a third-party Spotify converting tool to convert Spotify songs and playlists to unprotected Kodi-supported audio formats, thereby approaching the problem.
AudFree Spotify Music Converter is such a cost-effective music converting tool for Spotify. It's specialized in downloading songs, playlists or albums from Spotify to local files, while converting them to common audio formats, including MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B at the same time. As thus, you are able to transfer Spotify music to Kodi or other devices for offline playback.
Plus, it provides support to customize Spotify audio quality. On account of personal needs, you make free with the adjustment of audio channel, sample rate, bit rate, and other parameters. The other thing that's really impressive is that it can also preserve 100% lossless sound quality and ID3 tags of Spotify tracks during conversion.
AudFree Spotify software is safe and legal. It works well with Spotify app even you are using a free Spotify account. That makes it possible for you to download Spotify music for free and use Spotify Kodi without Premium.
- Step 1Import Spotify music to AudFree
- Open AudFree Spotify Music Converter on your Mac or Windows computer. When Spotify app starts, add songs and playlists from Spotify to AudFree. There are 2 ways available. You can choose to drag and drop tracks to the coversion window of AudFree or copy and paste the URL of Spotify files to the search box instead.
- Step 2Customize output format for Kodi
- To set Spotify format as Kodi-supported one, please navigate to the top menu bar and click the "Preferences" > choose "Convert" option to access the setting window, where you can customize any output format and other audio parameters, such as bit rate, sample rate, etc.
- Step 3Convert Spotify for Kodi
- Now, you just need to press the "Convert" button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface. Then, the AudFree software will start to remove restrictions from Spotify tracks and convert Spotify to local files at 5X faster speed. The bottom button with a red sign is used to locate the downloaded Spotify tracks quickly.
- Step 4Add Spotify music to Kodi
Whereafter, follow these steps to add converted Spotify music files from local system to Kodi for offline playback.
1. Firstly, open Kodi. On the first screen, head to "Music" from the left menu bar;
2. In the extension page of the "Music" option, press "Enter files section" and then to "Add music";
3. In the pop-up "Add music source" windows, hit on "Browse" to find downloaded Spotify files from local. After that, click "Add" get Spotify on Kodi offline.
Part 2. How to Install Kodi Spotify Addon to Use Spotify on Kodi
Besides the professional AudFree Spotify software, Spotify addon also comes in hand when it comes to playing Spotify music on Kodi. Although there is not official app for you to make Spotify available in Kodi, you will find out Spotify Kodi add-ons is something to be much talked about when searching how to get Spotify for Kodi on Google.
You just subscribe to Spotify premium plan and then choose a Spotify Kodi add-ons, such as Marcelveldt Repository and SPOTIMC. Next, do as instructed below. For beginners, the operation process might be complicated. So, please follow the step-by-step guide to avoid unnecessary hassle.
Step 1. Before launching Kodi, you need to download the Marcelveldt Repository zip file and save it to your computer;
Step 2. Open Kodi player on your computer and select "System" > "Add-Ons" menu on your left and then please click the "Package Installer" icon;
Step 3. Hit on Install from Zip File from the list, browser the downloaded files to find repository.marcelveldt.zip and click it to upload;
Step 4. Navigate to "Install from Repository" and select "Marcelveldt's BETA repository" > Music Add-ons > Spotify > tap the"Install" button. The downloading will start;
Step 5. When there is an add-on enabled notification, please choose Spotify again and then click "Configure" option. It will pop up a new window, in which you need to enter to your Spotify account details as required;
Step 6. Finally, go back to Kodi Home and enter to "Add-ons" > "Music Add-ons" option. Now, you can choose Spotify and start to enjoy Spotify files on Kodi.
Part 3. Frequently Asked Questions about Spotify Kodi Addon
1. Is Kodi Spotify addon free?
To a certain extent, yes, but not entirely. Put it simply, Kodi Spotify add-on is free of charge, but there is a Spotify premium subscription to use it.
2. Can I install Spotify addon on Kodi Fire TV?
Absolutely. You can install and use Spotify add-on on Kodi Fire TV for music listening with ease. To install Spotify addon on Fire TV, you are supposed to install ES File Explorer first and then install zip file. Next, follow the same steps in Part 2 to add Spotify addon to Kodi Fire TV.
Steps to install ES File Explorer: Open Kodi Fire TV Stick and then to "Settings" > "System" > "Developer Option" > turn on ADB Debugging option and apps from Unknown Sources.
3. Is VPN required for Spotify Kodi addon?
VPN is not a must for Spotify addon. But sometimes, it is suggested, as there are regional restrictions placed on Spotify music streaming service. In some non-liscensed countries, certain Spotify content is not accessibl. Faced with this, you can change the IP address of your devices by VPN to access to restricted content on Spotify.
4. Is it legal to get Spotify addon on Kodi?
Yes, of course. Kodi Spotify addon is perfectly legal for personal use. With Spotify premiun plan, you can use it on Kodi devices without hassle.
Part 4. Bottom Line
Either of the above methods presented above succeeds to get Spotify on Kodi. AudFree Spotify Music Converter is devoted to downloading Spotify to Kodi for offline playback without premium. But it costs you a little to unlock the full version of AudFree. Spotify addon also gives you a helping hand to play Spotify music on Kodi. Though, it requires a Spotify premium subscription to use. And the installation of Spotify addon on Kodi is not friendly for beginners.