What's your music streaming service that you choose to play on Roku? Well-known as a wonderful streaming player, Roku offers hundreds of options for your choice, such as Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc. Nowadays, Spotify returns to Roku Channel Store for playing Spotify on Roku.
How about streaming Apple Music on Roku? Is Apple Music Roku app available at this time? Unfortunately, Apple Music is not in the Roku compatible list. When you try to play music from Apple Music library through Roku app, you will receive an error message saying 'it's not supported because Apple used DRM to protect its media files. But take it easy. Today, we will introduce another way to play Apple Music on Roku with ease. Just read this article to learn how to do it.
Part 1. Play Apple Music on Roku - What Tool You'll Need
Without doubt, when you search for 'Apple Music for Roku app' in the streaming channels on the Roku Store, there is nothing showed in the result page. Since Roku comes with USB port allowing users to stream digital files from USB drive, can we play Apple Music on Roku from USB stick?
Certainly, we can do that to make Apple Music available in Roku. But it's still important to be noted that Apple Music is protected by FairPlay DRM technology and encoded in M4P audio format that can't be playable in Roku TV directly. To sweep these obstacles, there are two necessary things we should do, respectively removing DRM from Apple Music and converting Apple Music M4P to Roku supported audio formats. (Including AAC, MP3, WMA, FLAC, and WAV).
AudFree Apple Music Converter is such a commercial yet professional iTunes DRM removal software and Apple Music converter. It is well-designed to get rid of Apple Music DRM lock while converting purchased iTunes music and audiobooks and Apple Music streams to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B. With the help of this all-in-one tool, it couldn't be easier to transfer Apple Music to USB drive and cast Apple Music to Roku via USB port.
Part 2. Convert Apple Music for Playback on Roku - Detailed Guide
Before getting started to download Apple Music to Roku, we need to use Apple Music Converter to convert protected Apple Music to common audio files, like MP3 or FLAC that can be recognized by Roku directly. Just download and install AudFree Apple Music Converter on your computer, and then refer to the following step-by-step tutorial.
- Step 1Launch Apple Music Converter on your computer
- AudFree Apple Music Converter needs to work with iTunes app, please make sure you have downloaded it in advance and the Apple Music subscription has not expired. Now, just simply click the icon of AudFree Apple Music Converter, you will see its main interface like below picture and iTunes app is opening together.
- Step 2Add Apple Music streams to AudFree
- There are two ways you can choose to upload downloaded Apple Music tracks to AudFree. One is to click the first 'Add Files' button to select audio files that you'd like to play on Roku from iTunes library, the other is to drag and drop Apple Music files from your local computer to this tool directly.
- Step 3Set output format as Roku supported one
- Roku TV supports various audio formats, like MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc. You can click the 'audio' icon to launch the setting window and customize the output format as one of the Roku supported formats. In this step, this smart software also enables you to improve the output audio quality by changing the bit rate, sample rate, audio codec and more. Besides, you can click the 'Output' icon to set the destination folder to store converted Apple Music files.
- Step 4Convert DRM Apple Music for Roku TV
- When all settings are ready, please click the big 'Convert' button to launch the converting process. In general, it will convert protected Apple Music M4P files at 30X faster speed. But the real conversion time depends on how many Apple Music tracks you have imported. After conversion, unprotected Apple Music is stored in target folder you set before on your computer.
Part 3. Stream Apple Music to Roku for Playback on TV
Congratulations! Apple Music audios are compatible with Roku TV now. It's a piece of cake to stream them to Roku media player and use Apple Music on smart TV via Roku. Here, we will show you the simple steps on how to play Apple Music on Roku via USB port.
Step 1. Transfer converted Apple Music to USB flash drive after you have connected your USB drive to the computer.
Step 2. Pull out the USB stick including DRM-free Apple Music and insert it to the Roku set-top box via USB port.
Step 3. Please download Roku Media Player from Roku Channel Store. If you have downloaded it on your Roku, please skip this step.
Step 4. Please open the Roku Media Player and browse Apple Music folder on your USB drive and start to listen to Apple Music through Roku.
Tips: If you are using Plex Media Server, it's also available for streaming Apple Music to Roku via Plex. You just need to upload converted Apple Music to Plex firstly and then you can open this server on your Roku and sing in with the same Plex account. After that, you can play Apple Music on Roku TV with ease.