Q: Can I get Audible on Roku? I have received a beautiful and powerful Roku streaming box as Christmas gift from my sister, but when I couldn't locate the Audible app in its built-in programs. Is Audible app not available for Roku? If not, how can I play Audible audiobooks on Roku? My Roku Ultra has an USB port, I wonder to know whether I can access to Audible books on Roku via USB?
Roku is a series of digital media streaming devices, which is designed to stream music, audiobooks and videos from a wide variety of global providers, like Netflix, Pandora, Disney, HBO Go, etc. Unfortunately, Audible is not in the compatible list as there is no Audible app for Roku. But no worries. Only if you have converted Audible AA/AAX to Roku compatible audio format, and then you can stream Audible books on Roku via USB or media server without effort.
Part 1. How to Convert Audible Books to Roku Supported Format
Audible Audio Books & Audio Format by Roku
As one of the biggest audiobook producers all over the world, Audible offers tons of downloadable audiobooks with a wide variety of catalogues. Audible audiobooks always feature with AA/AAX audio formats. And in order to avoid unauthorized sharing, Audible's use of digital rights management (DRM) on its audio books. That's to say, all audiobooks bought and downloaded from Audible are encoded in DRM .aa and .aax audio formats.
As one of the most popular media streaming boxes, Roku can support several media audio formats for being better compatible with digital files and make users' digital lift easier and easier. Roku streaming stick is fully compatible with the following audio files, including MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, WAV, M4A, AIFF, and ACs.
Best Audible AA/AAX to Roku Converter
It's important to note that common audio converters don't work well when it comes to converting Audible audiobooks to Roku supported audio files due to DRM protection. You need to look for a professional Audible AA/AAX Converter, which can not only convert .aa audio books to MP3, FLAC, WAV and other formats that can be recognized by Roku, but also remove DRM from Audible audiobooks losslessly.
Here, we can meet AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter, which is specialized in decrypting DRM lock while converting Audible audiobooks to Roku supported formats, like MP3, FLAC, WAV, M4A, etc. Plus, it can also split audio books by chapters and keep all ID3 tags in converted common Audible files. With the assistance of this smart Audible converter, you can easily assess Amazon's Audible on the Roku.
AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter
- Remove DRM lock from Audible audiobooks for good playback
- Convert DRM AA/AAX books to MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, etc.
- Stream and play Audible on Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast
- Split large audiobooks into small segments by chapters
- Work with other audios, like iTunes audiobooks, Apple Music, etc.
Part 2. How to Play Audible Books on Roku - Quick Steps
Before getting started to refer this tutorial on how to listen to Audible books on Roku, please download and install the right version of AudFree Audible Audiobook Converter on your computer. AudFree offers the free trial version for every customer to test its performance before purchasing it. The only difference between paid version is time limitation. Here I will take the Windows version as example.
- Step 1Add Audible books to Audible Converter
- There are two ways for you to add downloaded Audible audiobooks to AudFree. One is to click the first 'Add Files' button (the other button is for converting unprotected audio files), and all audiobooks in iTunes will show up and you can choose audio books that you'd like to stream on Roku to AudFree. Or you can drag and drop Audible audiobooks from your local folder to the main interface of AudFree to add them.
- Note: Before doing the first step, please make sure you have synced Audible files to iTunes library under the 'My Audiobooks' option and have authorized iTunes with your Audible account details.
- Step 2Set Audible book output format for Roku
- In general, AudFree has defined MP3 as the output format by default. But if you need to set other audio format as output format, please press the 'audio' icon next to 'Convert' button and then you can choose the favorite one as the output file. Please don't check the mark before 'Keep lossless quality (AA, AAX), unless it will keep all Audible books as original format files.
- Step 3Convert Audible to Roku supported files
- Just simply click the 'Convert' button, and then the conversion process will be launched automatically. AudFree Audible converter will convert protected AA/AAX audio books to common MP3 files without DRM protection. After conversion, you can locate Roku supported Audible books on the destination folder on your computer.
- Step 4Stream Audible books to Roku for playback
- From the beginning in this article, we have mentioned that you can stream DRM-free Audible books to Roku via USB port. So please connect your USB flash drive with your computer and transfer unprotected Audible MP3 audiobooks to USB drive and then plug in it to your Roku's USB port. Now, you can launch Roku Media Player in your Roku device to play Audible books on Roku with ease.
- Tips: If your Roku device doesn't support USB port, you can copy and put Audible books to media server instead.
Before Audible app is available for Roku streaming box, you can follow the above way to play Audible books on Roku and any other streaming boxes as well, like Apple TV, WD TV Live, etc. If you need more detailed info about this, please let us know in the comment area.