Q: "I've been using Spotify for years. Recently I purchased a Roon Nuc Access to Roon and Tidal. But Spotify has a better search engine and much more diverse access to playlists. Is there a simple way to play Spotify on Roon? Thanks." —— Bryan_Jesienski from Roon community
Does Roon work with Spotify? The answer is apparently no. In fact, for all I know, Spotify has never integrated and will not cooperate with Roon. Spotify wants to retain full control of its valuable user data and maintain the interest of its service. Spotify Connect is the only app that users can access Spotify on other platforms and hardware. And it is obvious that Roon is not one of them.
But don't get too upset. In today's article, you will find the latest method to stream music from Spotify to Roon which helps you to organize and play Spotify on Roon.
Part 1. How to Use Roon and Spotify: Spotify Music Downloader for Roon
Before you start to learn about the detailed content, it is better to know about the key tool of this method. This key tool is called AudFree Spotify Music Downloader, which is designed to download Spotify songs without Spotify Premium and save them as offline files for local playback.
You may wonder what is the difference between the Spotify files downloaded by AudFree and the ones offered by Spotify Premium. Now let me clarify it to you. The former one is unlimited audio files, which are available to transfer to any player and device for offline playback. The latter one is still limited to music files, which can only playable through the Spotify app on the specific devices.
In the meanwhile, the local Spotify tracks that got from AudFree tool are allowed to change the output formats, including MP3, AAC, M4A, M4B, FLAC, WAV, and so forth. With utilizing the latest intelligent recognition technology, this software is able to maintain the original output quality and raw metadata from Spotify songs, such as artists, titles, albums, album arts, track numbers, and so on.
By using the AudFree Spotify Music Downloader, it is easy for you to get unlimited Spotify music files and stream them to Roon for further management.
Part 2. How to Download Spotify to Roon: Step by Step
This section will give you detailed instructions on how to download and add Spotify to Roon via the AudFree software.
For starters, please choose the correct version and download the downloader your Mac or PC. The free version offers 1 min conversion for each song from Spotify. The paid version provides full conversion for each Spotify track, and it is able to process multiple Spotify playlists in once-conversion.
The following tutorial will take the paid version as an example, and display the complete steps to download Spotify music to Roon.
Tips: To activate the paid version, please find the menu icon > 'Buy Now' on AudFree's main page. After you got your license code, please go back to the menu icon and open 'Register' to launch your account of AudFree.
- Step 1Add music from Spotify to AudFree Spotify Music Downloader
- Open the downloader on your computer. The Spotify desktop app will auto-launch. If it is opened before, it will close and reopen automatically in a flash. In your Spotify library, select the playlist that you would like to import to Roon. Then copy and paste the link of the playlist to the search bar in AudFree. Hit the '+' button beside to finish step 1.
- Step 2Modify the output settings for Roon
- On the interface of AudFree, open Preferences' > 'Convert' under the menu bar. To stay the original sound quality of Spotify streams, please change the output settings to MP3, 320 kbps, and 48000 Hz. If you have other needs, just edit the output format, bitrate, and sample rate as you want.
- Step 3Download playlists from Spotify for Roon
- Press the 'Convert' bar on the bottom right place to launch the downloading process. The program will automatically stop when all complete all the tasks. After that, you can hit the folder icon on the bottom line to get to the local output folder.
- Step 4Stream Spotify Playlists to Roon
- Now you can add the local unlimited Spotify songs to Roon. Here are 2 ways to stream Spotify music to Roon.
- 1. Open the local output folder. Drag and drop Spotify music files from it to Roon.
- 2. Open the iTunes app. Create a new playlist for your Spotify playlists. Next, upload the local Spotify songs into iTunes library. Then open and sync the tracks from your iTunes library to Roon.