"Is it possible to download and convert Spotify to MP3? If possible, can anyone please tell me how to do that? It seems that the music files I have downloaded using Spotify Premium are not compatible with my MP3 players, so I am looking for some solutions."
The answer is both yes and no. There is no official way to covert 'Spotify to MP3' yet. Alternatively, you can draw support from some third-party software or online tools. To save you the hassle, we have listed 4 ways that still work to help you convert Spotify to MP3 with ease.
Method 1. Download Spotify Songs to MP3 - Professional Software
First of all, a highly recommended tool is AudFree Spotify Music Converter, which is a professional software designed to help users download Spotify songs to MP3 or other formats without sacrificing any audio quality. There are many similar Spotify to MP3 converters on the market, but AudFree Spotify Music Converter stands out with its excellent functionality.
By adopting the latest technology, this powerful tool can download and convert Spotify track, album, playlist, podcast to MP3 at 5X speed, which is more efficient than the recording way. During the converting process, AudFree Spotify Music Converter is intelligent enough to embed all original ID3 tag info in the output Spotify MP3 files. More importantly, you can download Spotify playlist to MP3 using either Spotify free or Premium accounts. In other words, downloading music for offline playback is no longer a privilege for Premium subscribers only.
How to Download Music from Spotify to MP3 - Step by Step
Step 1. Launch AudFree Spotify Music Converter and drag & drop Spotify music from the Spotify app to the AudFree interface to load the Spotify songs you'd like to convert to MP3.
Step 2. Click the top-right menu icon to select 'Preferences' > 'Convert' to set output format as MP3.
Step 3. Tap the 'Convert' button to downloading and converting Spotify to MP3 for free playback.
1. Convert Spotify to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc.
2. Zero quality loss during the converting process
3. Run at 5X high speed on a Windows PC
4. Detect and keep all metadata of Spotify music
5. Sort output Spotify MP3 files by artist or album automatically
1. Support to convert maximum 100 songs to MP3 in one playlist
2. Free trial allows users to convert only 1 minute of each track
Method 2. Record Spotify to MP3 - Spotify Recorder
Audacity is free and open-source software available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. I bet many of you have heard of it. By adopting advanced recording and editing technology, Audacity is a professional digital audio editor and recording software. There is no doubt that you can use Audacity to record Spotify to MP3 free and easily.
How to Record and Convert Spotify to MP3 via Audacity
Step 1. Launch Audacity and hit the 'Edit' button from the top-left toolbar. Click the 'Preferences' > 'Audio Host Box' > 'Windows WASAPI' button.
Step 2. Select 'Transport' > 'Transport Options' > 'Software Playthrough' to turn it off while recording. Choose the export format as MP3 from the 'Options' button.
Step 3. Press the red 'Record' button and play the Spotify music that you'd like to record and convert to MP3. It will start recording Spotify music in real-time. When the recording is done, simply click the 'Stop' icon to save Spotify recordings to your computer.
1. Record music from Spotify, microphone, or other sources
2. Free, available for Linux operating system
3. Add ID3 tag info to the output Spotify files
1. A bit complicated for beginners to use
2. Real-time recording process costs you lots of time
3. Unable to grab metadata automatically
Method 3. Convert Spotify to MP3 - Online Solutions
In this part, two Spotify to MP3 online converters are introduced here. Since no software is required to install, please be aware that there will definitely be audio quality loss during the converting process.
1. Apowersoft Free Online Audio Recorder
Apowersoft is a lightweight and free online audio recorder that is capable of recording audio from computer sound card, microphone or both, and then save them to MP3. After recording Spotify to MP3 online, this Spotify downloader online allows you to customize output streaming audio's info by adding artwork cover, year, title, artist, genre, and more. But for the first-time users, they have to install a small launcher to ensure a smooth recording process.
1. Support to convert Spotify to MP3, WAV, AAC, FLAC, etc.
2. Add ID3 tags of recording as you like
3. Free and no need to install extra software on computer
1. Sound quality loss during the recording
2. Only upgrade to Pro version can identify music info automatically
Spotify & Deezer Music Downloader - Chrome Extension
As you can tell from the name, it is a free extension of Chrome which allows you to download music from Spotify and Deezer, so you can use it to convert Spotify to MP3. You can download Spotify online with it in a Chrome browser using the Spotify web player.
1. Download 70% of Spotify music for free
1. Sound quality loss heavily
2. Maximum output quality at 128kbps
3. Unstable and crashes often
* For more online solutions, please refer to the Top 5 Best Spotify Converter Online here.
Method 4. Convert Spotify to MP3 for Free - ALLToMP3
Actually, Audacity mentioned above can be put in this category too, but I decided to put another Spotify to MP3 free converter here that is lighter and more user-friendly here. AllToMP3 is open-source software that enables users to download MP3 from Spotify and 3 other popular music streaming sites, and save them in 256kbps MP3. It is a desktop application available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
1. Totally free, easy-to-use, and supports Windows/Mac/Linux
2. Download from Spotify to MP3 and save them in 256kbps
3. Keep ID3 tags, album art, and even lyrics
4. Support 5 languages
1. Unstable real-time conversion that could make your computer hung up
2. Software sometimes crashes before downloading
More Tips: Most Frequently Asked Question & Video Tutorial
Frequently Ask Question about Spotify Music Download
1. Can I download Spotify songs on my computer?
Yes, as long as you subscribe to the Spotify Premium. There is a download button in your Spotify playlist that allows you to download songs in your playlist for offline listening. However, you are not able to download track, album directly, which means you'll have to add them in a playlist for download.
2. Why do we need a Spotify to MP3 converter?
All Spotify songs are protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management) and encoded in OGG Vorbis format, so you can't copy the downloads to the devices that do not support the Spotify app such as iPod Nano, portable MP3 players, etc. With a professional Spotify to MP3 converter or online freeware, you are free to enjoy Spotify music on all devices without limitations.
3. How is the output music quality?
According to Spotify, free users are limited at 96kbit/s on mobile and 160kbit/s on Desktop, and Premium users can stream up to 320kbit/s. A professional Spotify to MP3 Converter like AudFree is capable of preserving the original quality of Spotify music, while some free Spotify mp3 converter cannot.
Video Demo: Convert Spotify Playlist to MP3 via AudFree Spotify Music Converter
This video shows you how to use AudFree Spotify Music Converter to download and convert Spotify URL to MP3 files for offline playback on any device or media player without limitations.
Conclusion: After reading 4 methods on how to convert Spotify to MP3, you must have learned how to do it now. Generally speaking, AudFree Spotify Music Converter is the most recommended tool for you, given its various features and proficiency. Audacity is a good option too. As for the other online freeware, you can use them as well if you don't mind the quality loss.