How to play a Spotify playlist through Sonos? I have known that Spotify and Sonos have announced a deal that enables music giant's users to play Spotify through Sonos speaker freely. But when I registered a Spotify account and started to stream Spotify on Sonos, I met some obstacles. What's wrong happened? Is there something important I missed? How can I get Spotify on Sonos?
Do you have met the same problem when using Spotify to Sonos? If yes, you must have missed the important point that Spotify Connect is only available to Spotify Premium subscribers. Put it another, only playing Spotify users have the permission to play music from Spotify straight on Sonos. But please don't worry. In this article, we will show you the detailed tutorial on connecting Spotify to Sonos with Premium subscription and the effective workaround on playing Spotify music through Sonos with a free account.
Part 1. Listen to Spotify Playlists on Sonos with Spotify Premium
Sonos is one of the leading music players in the world of wireless multi-room speaker systems. Partnered with Amazon, users can use Alex, voice assistant to control Sonos speakers. Besides, Sonos is planning to be compatible with every voice assistant on the market eventually to enjoy music entertainment easier. Because of the cooperation of other streaming music companies, Sonos has integrated a wide variety of music streaming services, including iHeartRadio, Spotify, MOG, Pandora, QQ Music and Amazon Music.
However, when it comes to casting music streams to Sonos, you should pay attention that except Pandora, other streaming music services require users to upgrade to Premium account, also including Spotify. If you have been a Premium subscriber who pay $9.99 a month for an enhanced ad-free service, you can refer to the following steps to play music on Sonos from Spotify. If you are a free user on Spotify, you can directly skip to the next part to find the complete guide on streaming Spotify music on Sonos without Premium.
Super Easy Set-up
Step 1. Download the Sonos app on mobile and run Sono speakers on your Wi-Fi. You can also download Sonos app on desktop.
Step 2. In the Sonos app, please choose 'Add Music Services' from the 'Music' pane, select 'Spotify', and then click 'Next'. (Make sure Control Sonos from Spotify is turned on the Settings).
Step 3. Choose 'I already have an account' and click 'Next' to enter your login details to allow Sonos.
Control Sonos with Spotify Connect
Step 1. Open Spotify app on your device. Please make sure your device using Spotify is on the same Wi-Fi network as Sonos system.
Step 2. Play your favorite playlist on Spotify app and tap 'Devices Available' option. Note: Podcasts are unsupported on Sonos.
Step 3. Select your Sonos speaker from the device picker and start listening to Spotify music on Sonos.
Part 2. How to Play Spotify through Sonos for Free
Why can't play Spotify through Sonos without Premium subscription? The key reason is that Spotify tracks are protected by DRM technology, which prevents free Spotify members from downloading Spotify songs offline. As a matter of fact, Sonos can support for playing not only online streaming music but also audio files from your local library. If we can download Spotify playlist to your local library, it will be easy to listen to Spotify songs on Sonos with a free account.
How to download Spotify music without Premium so that we can get Spotify on Sonos? The only third-party software you need is called AudFree Spotify to Sono Converter for Mac/Windows. It's specialized in removing DRM protection from Spotify tracks and downloading and converting Spotify music as MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc. for both free and paid Spotify users. As a result, you can freely transfer unprotected Spotify to Sonos speaker for offline playback. Let's see how it works.
- Step 1Import Spotify songs/playlists to AudFree
- Launch AudFree Spotify Music Converter on your computer, and then you can directly drag and drop songs or playlists from Spotify to AudFree’s main interface. Or you can import Spotify files to AudFree by copying and pasting the URL of Spotify music to the search box of AudFree.
- Step 2Customize output format and other audio parameters
- Since Sonos supports a wide variety of lossless and lossy audio formats, like MP3, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, OGG, AAC, etc., you can choose one of the Sonos compatible format as the output format by entering to the top menu -> Preference. Besides, you can adjust other audio parameters, like bit rate, sample rate, audio channel and more as you like.
- Step 3Remove DRM and download music from Spotify
- Now, you can click the 'Convert' button at the main interface to start the conversion process. And AudFree software will bypass DRM lock from Spotify files and convert them to target audio files. Once the conversion done, all downloaded Spotify playlists can be saved in the local folder on your computer.
- Step 4Play local Spotify music on Sonos
- It’s time to sync converted Spotify tracks to local music library of your Sonos from the computer. Please open the Sonos desktop app version, tap the 'Manage' menu to choose 'Music Library Settings' option, and then you can click the '+' on a Mac or 'Add' on a PC to upload Spotify files. Once synced, you can start to listen to Spotify on Sonos speaker freely.
Part 3. In Conclusion
Now, no matter you are using a free or premium account on Spotify, you can find the possible way to play Spotify songs, playlists or albums on Sonos. Besides, please well noted that the second way is also available for Premium subscribers and it can help you keep Spotify Premium for free forever. But the disadvantage of AudFree Music Converter for Spotify is that this smart third-party software is not free. The trial version allows users to convert 1 minutes of each file and you need to pay for $19.95 to get the full version.