With the arrival of PlayStation Music with built-in exclusive partner, Spotify, PS3 and PS4 gamers can access to Spotify songs, playlists or albums freely and listen to streaming music on PS3 and PS4 game consoles directly. What's more, this PlayStation Music app allows users to stream Spotify music while playing games on PlayStation 4.
Now you may start thinking about a question: Is Spotify free on PS4? Fortunately, the answer is positive. Both Premium & Free Spotify users are available to use Spotify songs on PS4. The difference is that Free users have to listen to Spotify tracks online and endure the distractions of ads in music while playing games, just like using Spotify as usual. However, in this article, we are going to introduce an alternative way to link Spotify to PS4 for offline playback without ads interruption.
Part 1. How to Connect Spotify to PS4 for Offiline Playback without Premium
There is a Media Player in the PS4 connect area that can play MP3 and AAC (M4A). So, if you are a Spotify free user, all you need to do is to download and convert Spotify tracks to MP3 or AAC for transferring to the Media Player.
Since Spotify tracks have built-in DRM protection, we need a handy downloader and converter for Spotify. Here, we sincerely recommend AudFree Spotify Music Converter to you, which is designed to remove DRM from Spotify music legally then download and transcode Spotify playlist to MP3, FLAC, AAC, M4A, WAV and M4B without touching original Spotify files. After conversion, any Spotify user can get Spotify playlists playable on PS4 via Media Player.
AudFree Spotify Music to PS4 Converter
Before connecting Spotify to PS4, we need to use Spotify Music Converter for Mac/Windows to convert DRM-ed tracks to MP3 or AAC files. Let's see how.
- Step 1Import Spotify songs or playlists to AudFree
- When you open AudFree Music Converter for Spotify, Spotify app will be launched automatically. And you can start to drag and drop Spotify songs to the AudFree's conversion window of or you can copy and paste the URL of Spotify tracks to search box of AudFree software.
- Step 2Set output format as MP3 or AAC for PS4
- Since Media Player on PS4 is fully compatible with MP3 and AAC, you can define the output format as MP3 or other PS4 supported audio format by entering to the top menu-> Preference -> Convert button. Besides, you can also customize output quality by adjusting bit rate, sample rate, etc.
- Step 3Download and Convert Spotify files Offline
- Please simply touch the 'Convert' button once at the main interface, AudFree Spotify Music Converter will begin to download and convert added Spotify music to MP3 or other audio files you set before. Once the conversion process finishes, you can locate Spotify local files on the destination folder.
- Step 4Stream converted Spotify music to PS4
- 1. Connect your USB flash drive to your computer and copy all Spotify files to USB drive.
- 2. Plug in the flash drive included Spotify tracks to the USB port of your PS4 and find and open Media Player on your PlayStation.
- 3. Use Media Player to browse Spotify music from the USB flash drive and stream them as the background music offline while playing games.
- You can also stream local audio tracks to your PS4 via the Plex or DLNA media server. By the way, this way is also available for Spotify paying users.
Part 2. How to Use Spotify on PS4 While Playing Games Officially
Spotify is available for PS3 and PS4 as a surprise appearance, so gamers will be able to play Spotify music as background music without a separate device. Basically, there are 3 ways to get Spotify on PlayStation 4.
Use Spotify Connect
Step 1. Confirm that your device and PS4 is connected to the same WiFi network. Then open the Spotify app.
Step 2. Start to play a song and click Devices Available on mobile or click the "connect device" icon on a computer.
Step 3. Pick out your PS4 from the device picker and begin listening.
Use the Email Address and Password
Step 1. Launch the Spotify app on your PS4.
Step 2. Choose LOG IN > LOG IN WITH EMAIL OR USERNAME.
Step 3. Type in your Spotify email address and password, and tap LOG IN.
Use a PIN
Step 1. Turn on the Spotify app on your console.
Step 2. Click LOG IN > LOG IN WITH PIN.
Step 3. Locate to www.spotify.com/pair on your computer or phone, and choose the pin from what you see on your screen.
When you log in Spotify on PS4, you can choose the option of LINK ACCOUNTS to bound your Spotify account to PS4. So in next time, you will automatically log into Spotify whenever you log in your PS4 system on whatever console.
Tips: How to Disconnect Spotify From PS4
Once your Spotify subscription expired, just sign out of Spotify on your PS4 to unlink your accounts.
Also you can disconnect accounts from here by entering your PSN account's info and follow the on-screen instructions.