Q: I always received an error message saying 'file format not supported' when making full use of AAX files. I failed to open AAX files on VLC, burn the Audible audiobooks to CDs, and play Audible files on my MP3 player. What are the reasons that I met such a restriction? To fix this issue, whether I need to convert AAX to MP3, or not? If yes, how?
Audible is the most popular online audiobook store. It has been offering easy access for us to download kinds of audiobooks for offline listening. But, unlike other digital audiobook providers, Audible has implied some restrictions to the audiobooks sold on the store. In general, Audible audiobooks are encoded in AAX and AA formats which are protected by Digital Rights Management.
As a result, Audible users can only play AAX books on selected mobile devices with an authorized Audible account. To take full control of the Audible books, it's necessary to convert AAX to MP3. Follow this post and we'll show you 6 effective methods to convert Audible AAX / AA to MP3 on Mac, Windows 10, online, free, or paid.
- Part 1. Convert AAX to MP3 on Mac/PC via AudFree Auditior
- Part 2. Convert .AAX to MP3 via AudKit AAX Converter
- Part 3. Convert AAX Files to MP3 via OpenAudible
- Part 4. Convert AAX to MP3 on SourceForge for Free
- Part 5. Convert Audible AAX to MP3 for Free via InAudible
- Part 6. Convert AAX to MP3 Online for Free via Convertio
- Part 7. FAQs about Converting AAX to MP3
- Part 8. In Conclusion
Part 1. How to Convert AAX to MP3 on Mac/Windows 10
The best way to convert AAX to MP3 on Mac and Windows 10 is by using a professional AAX to MP3 converter. Better still, there are many such AAX converters specialized in converting .aax to MP3 on the market.
Among them, AudFree AAX to MP3 Converter could be the top-rated one. It can help you convert AAX to MP3 on Windows and Mac at 30X faster speed while keeping the original ID3 tags. Besides, it also allows users to customize ID3 tags of Audible audiobooks manually based on personal tastes. With the built-in splitting feature, it enables you to split large AAX files into chapters.
With the help of the best AAX to MP3 converter, you are able to control the AAX audiobook playback via changing the volume, speed, and pitch. After conversion, you can play any Audible AAX/AA file on the most popular devices or burn the audiobooks to discs, etc.
AudFree AA/AAX to MP3 Converter
- The best Audible AAX file converter for Mac and Windows users
- Convert Audible AAX to MP3, AAC, WAV, M4A, FLAC, M4B
- Keep original ID3 tags and chapters in output audios
- Split large audiobook file into small segments via chapters
- Convert iTunes audiobooks, Apple Music, and other audios
How to Convert AAX to MP3 on Mac/Windows 10 at 30X Speed
Now simply install the free trial version of AudFree Audible AAX to MP3 Converter on your computer running macOS or Windows operating system. And then, you can follow the steps below to begin converting AAX to MP3 in a few clicks.
- Step 1Import Audible AA/AAX to iTunes library
- Firstly, go to iTunes and sync Audible books to the iTunes library under 'My Audiobooks' section. To do so, simply click 'File' -> 'Library' -> 'Import Playlist'. Then remember to authorize iTunes with your Audible account. By doing this, your AA/AAX audiobooks could play well on iTunes. Otherwise unexpected problems may occur during conversion with AudFree AAX to MP3 Converter.
- Step 2Load Audible audiobooks to AAX audio converter
- Here, we will take the Mac version as the sample to show you how to convert Audible to MP3 on Mac. There are two options to add Audible audiobooks to AudFree AAX Converter. You can the 'Add' button and do drag-and-drop action. By the way, AudFree Audible to MP3 Converter for Mac supports converting any audio file. To add the protected AA/AAX books, please click the second 'Add' button at the top center of AudFree Auditior.
- Step 3Set Audible AAX output format as MP3
- Once the audiobooks are imported to AudFree Auditior, click the 'audio' icon next to the 'Convert' button. It will pop up the setting window so that you can select the output format as MP3 for converting AAX files to MP3. For any format, you are allowed to change the audio parameters according to your own needs. It includes the audio codec, channel, bit rate, sample rate, and more.
- Step 4Start to convert Audible AAX to MP3
- Now click the 'Convert' button to initiate the conversion process. AudFree Audible AA to MP3 Converter will begin to remove restrictions from Audible audiobooks. At the same time, it will convert protected AA/AAX to MP3. Once converted, you can click the 'history' icon next to the 'Convert' button. And it's able to locate the MP3 audiobooks and transfer them to any other device as you like.
- Video DemoHow to convert Audible AAX/AA to MP3
Part 2. How to Convert .AAX to MP3 via AudKit AAX Converter
AudKit Audible AAX Converter is another professional tool to convert .AAX to MP3 with ease. It's well-designed for Audible users only. Different from other traditional AAX converters, this smart tool doesn't require users to install the iTunes app. What's more, you can even not authorize your Audible account but do format conversion of Audible files.
With such charming features, it provides a faster conversion speed. It's able to run at a 100X speed to rip MP3 files from Audible AA and AAX audiobooks. It will save you a lot of time and effort.
How to Convert .AAX to MP3 on Windows 10/Mac
Step 1. Fire up the AudKit Audible AAX Converter on your laptop. Click the top '+' button, it will automatically load Audible AAX files downloaded on your computer. And then, you can select your favorite audiobooks to do format conversion.
Step 2. Tap the 'Format' button to personalize Audible output settings, such as output format, sample rate, etc. The highlight feature of this tool is that it features a 'Lossless' output format. When you set it, it will export Audible audiobooks losslessly.
Step 3. It also has the 'Effect' and 'Edit' options to do more advanced settings. After that, please click the 'Convert' button to convert .AAX to MP3 at a 100X conversion speed.
Part 3. How to Convert AAX File to MP3 via OpenAudible
OpenAudible is a cross-platform Audible AAX converter and manager. It's compatible with not only Mac, Windows computers, but also Linux computers. Although it's n open-source tool on GitHub, it costs $19 to get the full functions. Besides, to use it to convert Audible to MP3, or split large audiobooks by chapters, you need to authorize your Audible account. It supports MP3, M4B, and M4A output audio formats.
How to Convert AAX File to MP3
Step 1. Open your OpenAudible on your computer and then please update preferences.
Step 2. Choose the 'Controls: Connect to Audible' button. You will need to log in to your Audible name and password.
Step 3. Now, you can select to download and convert some or all AAX to MP3 or M4B.
Step 4. To find Audible MP3 files, please right-click the 'Show MP3' option.
Part 4. How to Convert AAX to MP3 on SourceForge for Free
The above three Audible to MP3 Converters work perfectly to convert AAX to MP3 at a faster speed. But they are a full-featured premium converter. So in this part, we will introduce an AAX to MP3 free converter, which was brought by aaxman on SourceForge website.
I have tried this tool and the conversion speed is fast. In general, it depends on computer power. No need to install the iTunes app, this free Audible converter can effectively convert AAX to MP3 free.
Step 1. Download and install the Audible Manager from SourceForge website on your computer. And then select an audiobook to open.
Step 2. Log in to your Audibel account. And launch the free AAXToMP3 converter from your computer desktop.
Step 3. Choose AAX audiobooks that you'd like to convert to MP3. After that, please click the 'Convert' button to freely convert AAX file to MP3. All MP3 files can be located in the same folder as the AAX file.
Part 5. How to Convert Audible AAX to MP3 for Free via InAudible
InAudible is also a smart third-party AAX to MP3 converter for free. It can not only convert AAX to MP3 for free, but also convert Audible files to AAC, M4B, and WAV tracks. All ID3 tags, such as cover, title, etc. can be preserved well in MP3 downloads. It also has the splitting feature to separate Audible audiobooks in desired ways, such as silence deletion.
Since it doesn't have an official website, there is no direct download link to install it. You need to search for it on Google and find a possible website to do that, like GitHub.
Step 1. Find the InAudible tool on Google and then install and launch it from your computer desktop.
Step 2. Click the 'Input' icon on Mac or 'File' > 'Open>Audible/M4B' on Windows to load AAX files.
Step 3. Choose the output destination folder, output format, and other audio settings. Then, please click the 'Begin Conversion' to start the conversion process.
Part 6. Convert AAX to MP3 Online with Convertio
As a matter of fact, apart from the above AAX to MP3 free converter, there are still many other tools that can do it. Another one we can meet here is Convertio, a free AAX to MP3 converter online. Different from the above software, Convertio gives users the ability to convert AAX to MP3 online.
That's to say, you don't need to install an extra tool on your computer but still can get MP3 from Audible files. Just upload AAX audiobooks, and then you can convert them to MP3 online. Here is the detailed tutorial on how to convert AAX files to MP3 online.
How to Convert AAX to MP3 Online
Step 1. Open any web browser and navigate to Convertio official website.
Step 2. Hit on the computer icon and add AAX files from your computer. Choose the input format as AAX and the output format as MP3.
Step 3. Press the 'Convert' icon to start format conversion. This online AAX to MP3 converter will convert AAX audiobooks in batch. Find all Audible MP3 audiobooks by clicking the 'Download' icon.
Part 7. FAQs about Converting AAX to MP3
Q1: What Is Audible AA/AAX
A1: Both AA and AAX are protected file formats for Audible audiobooks. Because of the special codec, each AA/AAX file can only be used on up to four computers and three smartphones at a time. AAX, also called Enhanced sound, is an encrypted M4B file in variable quality AAC format. It's better for spoken works compared to the older Audible format AA.
Q2: Can Audacity Convert AAX to MP3?
A2: As a free open-source audio recorder and editor, Audacity can record any sound playing on computer, including AAX audiobooks. Since it also supports an MP3 output format, Audacity can convert AAX to MP3 at a 1X recording speed.
Q3: Can VLC Convert AAX to MP3?
Yes! Please open your VLC media player and hit on the 'Media' > 'Convert/Save' option. And then, you can start to select your Audible AAX files and hit on the 'Convert/Save' button. To convert AAX to MP3 via VLC player, please don't forget to set the output format as MP3. All MP3 tracks can be saved in the destination folder.
Q4: Can iTunes Convert AAX to MP3?
No! To use iTunes to convert AAX to MP3, the first thing you need to do is to remove the protection of Audible audiobooks via a third-party audio converter, like AudFree Auditior.
Part 8. In Conclusion
There are 6 methods to convert Audible to MP3 online, for free, Mac, and PC with powerful tools. The most cost-effective method among them could be using AudFree Audible Converter as it comes with high-quality output files, acceptable conversion speed. What's more, it's able to convert not only Audible files, but also Apple Music, iTunes audiobooks, and common audio tracks to MP3.