Q: "Is it possible to play Tidal audio on Squeezebox?" Happily, the answer is sure enough. Tidal launched its lossless streaming service on Squeezebox since 2014, and they are always keeping good close cooperation. Until now, users are able to access the whole Tidal library through Squeezebox, which is of more than 60 million tracks in lossless music quality.
So how to get started to link Tidal to Squeezebox? Today, in this article, I am going to show you 2 useful and effective ways to install Tidal on Squeezebox. One is to use a professional third-party tool, which is simple and easy to operate. The other one is recommended by the official website: to use Tidal plugin for Squeezebox, but it is much more complicated. Just pick up your favorite one with freedom.
Part 1. Best Way to Play Tidal HiFi / Master on Squeezebox
Let's start with the simple method. This light-weight but a versatile tool is called AudFree Tidal Music Downloader for Windows, designed for decrypting the DRM lock from Tidal streams. Every type of audios from Tidal such as songs, albums, playlists, etc. can be converted to universal formats like MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A, M4B, and many others with 100% quality kept. All metadata is encapsulated in the converted files, in other words, you can easily manage your local music files by ordering them as artist, album, title, and so on.
In addition, this powerful tool also works well in editing music output settings. Parameters such as output format, bitrate, sample rate, etc can be reset according to your needs. With the powerful loading and processing functions, you can add and convert up to 100 songs at one time at the speed of 5X faster. Currently, you can find AudFree is the only one professional Tidal downloader and converter, instead of Tidal recorder in the market.
Part 2. Add Tidal to Squeezebox: Detailed Steps
Please notice the prerequisites as bellow before you start your converting.
- Download AudFree Tidal Downloader for Windows on your computer.
- Make certain that the Tidal desktop app is not a pre-installed version from Windows Store.
- Install the Squeezebox Server (Logitech Media Server) on the desktop.
- Step 1Search for songs in Tidal and add to AudFree
- Double-click to AudFree Tidal Downloader for Windows and the Tidal app will be turned on then. Copy the link of the track, album or playlist from Tidal and paste it to the blank on the top of AudFree. Then hit on the '+' button on the right of the box. Seconds later, the music will be imported to AudFree.
- Step 2Define output settings of Tidal songs for Squeezebox
- If you are using a Windows machine, please find the menu icon from the top edge sidebar of AudFree. Then choose "Preferences" > "Convert". If you are using a Mac machine, please go to the "AudFree Tidal Music Converter" on the menu tab of the Mac. When a settings page popping up, you can customize the output options like format, bit rate, sample rate, channel, etc.
- Step 3Download Tidal track as local files for Squeezebox
- Click to the big 'Convert' tab on the lower right place of AudFree. Then it will start decoding and recoding Tidal songs to non-DRM files. When the conversion is done, please follow the on-screen prompts to visit the target folder and check the local Tidal tracks.
- Step 4Stream Tidal Tracks to Logitech Media Server
- Now install Logitech Media Server on your computer. Just choose and add any piece of Tidal songs from the local folder to the Squeezebox Server. Remember to scan the Squeezebox Server's library after that, in order to update its database. Now you can listen to Tidal music on Squeezebox at any time and anywhere.
Part 3. Methods to Listen to Tidal Lossless on Squeezebox
Add Tidal Plugin to Squeezebox Server (LMS)
Currently, there is no specific Tidal plugin that you can find on Squeezebox Server since Tidal has integration with ickStream, a music aggregating service, which team has a background from Logitech Squeezebox. In other words, it is supported to authorize Tidal to ickStream music platform, then add ickStream plugin to Squeezebox Server (LMS) for playback on Squeezebox.
Steps to Install ickStream Plugin to Logitech Media Server
Step 1. Make sure that your LMS version is 7.7.0 or a later one.
Step 2. Set up ickStream plugin repository and add it to LMS.
Step 4. Sign in or register an account on the ickStream Music Website.
Step 5. Connect Tidal service to your ickStream account by typing in the details.