The request for a new feature to change Spotify playback speed has received many upvotes over the years in the Spotify Support Community. Spotify has made it possible for users to change the Spotify podcast playback speed, but the option is not available when listening to music. Some request that Spotify should implement it for audiobooks as well, and some want more granular speed options like 1.2x, 2.5x.
No matter whether Spotify is going to make this come true for users in any near future, we have found some workarounds then enables us to do so at the moment. Besides explaining the basic feature of changing podcast speed, we will show you a detailed tutorial on how to change Spotify playback speed to all contents.
Part 1. Change Spotify Podcast Playback Speed on Desktop/Mobile
Can you change playback speed on Spotify? Well, you can do it in the Spotify app, but only when you're listening to podcasts. Let's take a quick look at how to do that on desktop and mobile. Firstly start playing some podcasts in your Spotify desktop client.
And you will notice a '1x' icon shows up down in the lower-right. Just tap on it to select among 0.5x, 0.8x, 1x, 1.2x, 1.5x, 2x, and 3x speed according to your needs.
It's basically the same when using mobile devices. Once you start playing a podcast, you will notice a '1x' button from the bottom-left corner of the playback interface. Just tap on it to select the speed you want.
Part 2. Speed Up Song / Slow Down Spotify Music in Web Player
As is mentioned above, there is no official way for you to speed up music or slow down songs yet. Luckily, there is an effective for us to change Spotify playback speed in the Spotify Web Player effortlessly. "Spotify Playback Speed Access" is a totally free Chrome extension which adds ability to change song speed with an input next to the volume slider. Find this extension in the chrome web store and install it in your Chrome browser.
After installation, please visit Spotify Web Player and log in with your account. You will see a little box next to volume, for you to adjust the Spotify playback speed, with a default of 100 at normal music playback. You can either press the triangle icon to increase or decrease the level to fast forward or slow down the playback speed or enter a number between 7 and 1600. This free Chrome extension allows you to adjust the playback speed of all Spotify contents including music, podcasts, and audiobooks. It would be a fun and useful feature for musicians, dancers, or teachers for practicing and class activities.
Part 3. How to Adjust Playback Speed in Spotify Step by Step
With the 2 ways we introduced above, you will be able to change the Spotify podcast playback speed or music playback speed in the Spotify Web Player. Meanwhile, we notice some users urge the needs of changing playback speed with Spotify on Apple Music, Galaxy Watches, or other devices. Therefore, we are here to share a third workaround which allows us to do that with just a few steps.
To begin with, you'll need a professional software name AudFree Spotify Music Converter, which is proficient in download Spotify music without audio quality loss and convert Spotify to MP3 or 5 audio formats. This excellent tool can run at 5x speed once activated and keep all ID3 tag information of the target sources, like title, artist, genre, year, album art, etc. This software offers a free trial for both Windows and Mac OS and once you have the downloaded music files at hand, you are free to adjust its playback speed and play them on any devices.
Make sure you have installed the AudFree Spotify Music Converter and the Spotify desktop app as well. Then please follow the detailed steps below to download Spotify music and later adjust its playback speed.
- Step 1Import Spotify songs to AudFree software
- No matter you are Spotify Free and Premium users, you can directly drag and drop tracks/albums/playlists/podcasts from the Spotify app to AudFree's main interface to add the sources you'd like to download. Alternatively, you can copy and paste the Spotify URL to the search box of AudFree software and click the '+' button to achieve the same effect.
- Step 2Define output format and other parameters
- As AudFree Spotify Music Converter supports 6 output formats, you can choose one as you like. Windows users please go to menu from the upper-right corner and click the 'Preferences' to open the setting window. Here you can define output format and other parameters such as channel, sample rate, and bit rate.
- Step 3Start to download and convert Spotify
- When all settings are saved, please hit the big 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner and AudFree Spotify Music Converter will start to download and convert Spotify songs at high speed simultaneously. After it all finishes, you can locate all download Spotify files in the converted history list and locate them in output folder.
- Step 4Adjust Spotify playback speed offline
- Now you have the downloaded Spotify files and it opens more options for you to change the Spotify playback speed now. If you wannt to change the speed while listening to Spotify podcasts or audiobooks on your laptop, you can play Spotify on VLC, a neat and powerful media player. Simply open the local files with VLC, and go to 'Playback' > 'Speed' > and select faster or slower. You can even adjust the audio playback speed in VLC to the tiniest details like 1.07x or 1.49x speed for example. Use the playback speed slider at the bottom-right corner of the player, below the volume slider.
- If you save the adjust playback speed within the audio file itself, it's easy as well. Many free online tools can be found such as "Audio Speed Changer". All you need to do is to choose files from local, select playback speed, start converting, and download it. Then you are free enjoy Spotify podcasts, audiobooks offline at any speed you like on any device, such as having a walk in the woods with Spotify audiobooks playing in an MP3 player offline.