Q: I have subscribed to Spotify Premium for offline listening without ads on my Android phone offline. But as time goes by, my Spotify music collection continues to grow, which is devouring my phone's internal storage. To release more space for my Android phone, I want to find a way to save Spotify to SD card. If possible, how to move Spotify to SD card?
Indeed, the internal storage on a mobile device is very limited, so downloading Spotify to SD card is a good way to solve this dilemma. When I navigated to the Spotify Support community, I found that many Spotify users have trouble with storing Spotify music on SD card. In this article, we will show you how to move Spotify music to SD card step by step, with extra tips on how to download Spotify songs to SD card.
Part 1. How to Move Spotify to SD Card on Android
If you are an Android user, have you tried moving the Spotify app to SD card before? If yes, you find that this option is greyed out under the Definitions -> Application-> Spotify.
Though the Spotify app can't be moved to the external SD card directly, Spotify allows users to store offline cache to SD card on Android. Now, you can refer to the following detailed tutorial to get Spotify on SD card to release space for your device.
Step 1. Launch the Spotify app on your Android device and go to 'Settings'.
Step 2. Tap 'Other'-> 'Storage' tab to choose 'SD card' as the target place to save your Spotify music downloads.
Step 3. Back to 'Other' and delete all downloaded playlists on your device by hitting the 'Delete cache and save data' button.
Step 4. Please note this will require you to re-sync your offline playlists, you can need to click 'OK' and all offline Spotify music will then be saved to your SD card instead.
Note: Please make sure your Android SD card has at least 1GB of free memory.
Part 2. How to Download Spotify to SD card without Premium
As a Premium user on Spotify, it's an easy task to store Spotify music on SD card applying the way above. But if you are using a Spotify free account, things are different, because you are not able to download Spotify to local for offline listening. Fortunately, this group of users can have Spotify download to SD card. To enable all users to save Spotify to SD card for offline playback without Premium on their mobile devices, here, I will share an alternative way to do that easily.
AudFree Spotify Music Downloader is the right tool you'll need. It can download music without Premium and convert them to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc. with zero sound quality loss. After the conversion, we are free to get Spotify download on SD card. In addition, this great tool is capable of preserving all the ID3 tags of the music, so when you play them from the SD card with a built-in music player on your Android phone, there will be no different from listening to music on the Spotify app.
Tutorial on How to Save Music to SD Card from Spotify
AudFree Spotify Music Downloader offers free trial for Windows and Mac, and we will need the Spotify desktop app as well. When you finish installing them on your computer, please refer to the detailed tutorial below to download Spotify to SD card step by step.
- Step 1Import Spotify music to AudFree
- Run the AudFree Spotify Music Downloader, you can discover your favorite music or find your curated Spotify playlist from the Spotify app. Then you can drag & drop them to the AudFree window. Or copy & paste the Spotify URL to the search box of AudFree, then press the '+' button to import them.
- Step 2Set output format and other audio parameters
- Go to the Menu-> Preference-> Convert section, and you can start to select the output format (MP3, FLAC, AAC, WAV, M4A or M4B) as you want. We suggest you choose MP3 to save as much storage for your SD card as possible. It's also available to select other audio parameters (bit rate, sample rate and audio channel). What's more, if you are running Windows OS, you are given the option to set conversion speed as 1X to ensure a more stable converting process.
- Step 3Download Spotify for SD card
- Please start the converting process by simply tapping the 'Convert' button from the bottom-right corner of the main interface. Within minutes, you can locate the Spotify music files in the destination folder.
- Step 4Move Spotify to Android SD card
- Please insert your SD card into the card reader and plug it in your computer. Now you can transfer the converted Spotify music to SD card simply by copying and pasting. After that, you can install the SD card which contains Spotify music tracks to your Android devices. Start enjoying Spotify some Spotify music stored on SD card for offline playback.
Part 3. Conclusion
If you are a paying user on Spotify, the first method is easier to move Spotify to SD card on Android devices for freeing up the system storage,.
As for free Spotify subscribers, with the help of AudFree Spotify Music Downloader, you can achieve the same goal. It helps you enjoy ads-free Spotify music from SD card offline without having to worry about storage. Besides, Premium users can also use this tool to get Spotify on SD card and keep Spotify music forever even you have canceled your Premium subscription.
Which way you will choose to move Spotify to SD card? Do you have any other idea to transfer Spotify to SD card? Let us know by commenting below.