Q: Can I download Spotify music to external hard drive for backup?To get the download option for saving Spotify music library on external hard drive, Spotify asks me to upgrade my account. But after I subscribed to Spotify premium plan, I still couldn't move Spotify songs and playlists to external hard device.
To avoid losing favorite digital audio files because of sudden hard drive crash or virus infection, the best way is to back up music collection to external hard devices. Things could be a little difficult when it comes to saving Spotify music to hard drive due to DRM technology. Worse, free Spotify users even have no rights to download songs offline. So what should you do? Well, you can follow the below possible way to transfer Spotify playlists to external drive.
Part 1. Why We Can't Store Spotify Music on External Drive
Spotify allows free and premium users to access to its music library only if registering a Spotify account via Facebook social account or email address. But there are still some limitations built-in Spotify tracks according to your special subscription plans.
For Spotify premium users, you can't take audio files outside of Spotify app itself, even if you have downloaded them offline. That's to say, you can't transfer and play Spotify music downloads on any other music player and device, like MP3 player, USB flash drive, etc. For free registers on Spotify, apart from the previous restriction, they also can't enjoy Spotify music tracks offline and will be disturbed by pop-up advertisement.
As a matter of fact, all locks are caused by DRM technology that Spotify uses to protect copyright of its music files. Put it another way, with the purpose of syncing Spotify to external hard drive, you need to equip with a professional Spotify tool that can remove DRM from Spotify songs and playlists for both free and premium users.
Part 2. How to Transfer Spotify Playlists to External Hard Drive
AudFree offers the opportunity to download any song or playlist from Spotify while removing DRM lock by doing a few clicks. With the free registered Spotify account and AudFree Spotify Playlist Downloader installed on computer, you can quickly sync Spotify music to USB flash drive. Let's see the step-by-step tutorial as below.
Best Spotify DRM Removal Tool
Here, we can meet a powerful and excellent Spotify tool to get rid of DRM lock, called AudFree Spotify DRM Removal Tool for Mac. By adopting innovate DRM decryption technology, it has ability of breaking DRM protection from Spotify songs permanently and downloading all content from Spotify offline no matter you are using free or paid Spotify account. Plus, it's also an all-in-one Spotify music converter, with which you can convert Spotify music to common audio files, including MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B for transferring to external hard device and other devices and players.
AudFree Spotify Music Converter
Detailed Steps to Save Spotify Songs to External Drive
The following tutorial focuses on how to remove DRM lock from Spotify music library and transfer converted unprotected Spotify audio files to external hard drive with the help of smart AudFree Spotify DRM removal tool.
- Step 1Import Spotify music or playlist to AudFree
- Open AudFree Spotify music solution on your Mac and it will re-launch Spotify app automatically. No matter subscribing Spotify free or paying plan, you can start to discover favorite Spotify music and then drag and drop them to AudFree's conversion window. Besides, there is an easier way to add Spotify songs, which is to copy and paste the link of Spotify songs to the search box directly.
- Step 2Adjust output format and other audio parameters
- In general, AudFree will keep MP3 as the output format by default. If you'd like to define other audio formats to replace MP3 format, please click the top menu bar to choose 'Preferences' > 'Convert' option to open the setting window, where you can not only adjust output format as FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A and M4B but also customize the bit rate, sample rate, audio codec, etc. to enhance output audio quality.
- Step 3Remove DRM and download Spotify music offline
- When all settings done completely, you can press the 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface to launch converting mode. And then you will see the converting process in the window. After conversion, you can click the 'history' icon to locate non-DRM common Spotify music.
- Step 4Transfer converted Spotify playlists to external hard drive
- Once located plain Spotify music files, you can connect your external hard drive to your Mac computer via USB cable. Now, you can sync Spotify music library to the folder of external hard drive for backup via copying&pasting' action or 'dragging&dropping' action. If you'd like to download Spotify songs to external hard drive, you can just set destination folder as external drive before downloading.
With the assistance of AudFree Spotify DRM removal tool, you don't need to worry about the hazard of losing your large Spotify music library anymore. If necessary, apart from storing Spotify music on external hard drive, you can also transfer converted Spotify songs to USB flash drive and save Spotify music to SD card without problem.