Found in 2006, Spotify has been one of the largest streaming music services with over 70 million songs. According to the latest reports, it has over 356 million monthly active users. Most of them are paying subscribers.
Spotify provides users an easy-to-access platform to listen to all types of music. It has a Spotify desktop app, a mobile app, and a Spotify Web Player for users to access its music library. It's able to explore Spotify music on Mac, PC, iOS, and Android phones, smart speakers, and so forth with ease.
Here, today, we will concentrate on Spotify for Mac in this article. It will divide into three parts, including how to download Spotify on Mac, and how to download Spotify songs on Mac with/without Spotify Premium.
Part 1. How to Download Spotify on Mac (Spotify for Mac App)
When it comes to using Spotify on Mac, there are two ways provided by Spotify. One is via the Spotify Web Player, the other is installing the Spotify for Mac app. But here, why we should get a Spotify download for Mac instead? The reasons are listed below:
1. Music Quality. Spotify Web Player and Spotify for Mac provide different music quality based on your plan. With a free account, you can get 128 kbps in the web player, while getting 160kbps in the desktop app. If you upgrade your plan, you can get 256 kbps bitrate via browser, but 320kbps on Spotify app for Mac. In short, the Spotify app for Macbook offers higher quality.
2. Offline Listening. There is a common perception that all Spotify users can get online listening only via the Spotify Web Player. To listen to Spotify offline, it's an essential section to download Spotify for Mac. Up to now, let's see how to download Spotify on Mac.
How to Download Spotify App for Mac
Step 1. After you sign up for a Spotify account, it will pop up a prompt to authorize downloading Spotify for Mac.
Step 2. If not, you need to visit Spotify's official website and click the 'Download Now' button.
Step 3. Please click the 'Allow' for the Spotify download to start in the pop-up section.
Step 4. Please double-click the installation file to unzip the Spotify installer in the 'Download' folder.
Part 2. How to Download Spotify Songs on Mac with Premium
From Part 1, we have already known that the Spotify app for Mac supports the offline listening feature. But it's well-noted that it's not available for all Spotify users. This Offline Mode is not available for free users.
To download Spotify songs on Mac, please subscribe to Spotify Premium at $9.99 per month for individual use. If you are a student, you can get it at $4.99 every month with a Spotify student discount.
So how to download songs from Spotify on Mac? Please make sure your MacBook is under an internet connection. And then, you can refer to the following steps. By the way, this way doesn't allow you to download individual songs alone. Please create a playlist for your favorite songs.
How to Download Spotify Songs on Mac
Step 1. Fire up the Spotify app for Macbook, and log into your Spotify account details. It must be a Premium account and it's not expired.
Step 2. Tap the playlist or album that you'd like to download. There is a 'Download' button on the upper right corner of the Spotify playlist. Please toggle the download switch.
Step 3. Spotify songs will be downloaded offline on Mac automatically. The download speed is largely dependent on network speed.
Part 3. How to Download Music from Spotify on Mac for Free
Is it enough for getting Spotify downloads on Mac? If you have already downloaded music from Spotify to Mac, you will find that all files are cache tracks. You can't locate and transfer them to other devices for offline playback.
You will still wonder to know whether there is another way to download Spotify to MacBook as local files? Particularly, is there a way to download music from Spotify on Mac for free?
Fortunately, the answer could be yes. Apart from upgrading to Spotify's paying account, a third-party Spotify downloader can help you out. Here, we can meet AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac. It's a professional and powerful Spotify solution.
It is well-designed to locally download all Spotify content on Mac without Premium. It can 5X download playlists, albums, podcasts, audiobooks, also including individual songs. It empowers users to convert Spotify to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4A, and M4B files in high quality. In this case, you can play Spotify music anywhere offline.
AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac
How to Download Music from Spotify Mac Free
The following is the complete tutorial of AudFree Spotify Music Downloader for Mac. You can use it to download Spotify on Mac computers running Mac OSX 10.8 to macOS 12 Monterey.
Tools You'll Need
Free or paid version of AudFree Spotify Music Converter Mac
Free or premium Spotify account
The latest Spotify for Mac app
A Mac computer running Mac OSX 10.8 to macOS 12 Monterey
Note: AudFree Spotify Music Downloader for Mac is a commercial tool. You'd better buy the full version to break the file length limitation of converted Spotify tracks. But it works for both free and premium Spotify users so that you can get Spotify Premium for free forever.
- Step 1Import Spotify music for download
- Double click to launch AudFree Spotify Music Converter on your Mac. The Spotify for Mac app will be opened automatically. There are two ways to load Spotify files. One is to drag and drop the target Spotify tracks to the conversion window. The other is to click the 'three-dot' button to choose 'Copy Spotify URL' option. And then, please paste the link to the search box and hit on '+' button to confirm it.
- Step 2Set Spotify output audio parameters for download
- Navigate to the top menu bar of the Apple computer. Please choose the 'AudFree Spotify Music Converter for Mac' > 'Preferences' option to open the setting window. You can adjust output audio parameters in your wanted way. You can define the output format as MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, or others. You can customize the output audio quality, such as bit rate, sample rate, audio channels as well as codec. For Spotify free users, you'd better set the bit rate as 320 kbps and the sample rate as 414,000 Hz to enhance the audio quality.
- Step 3Download music from Spotify on Mac
- When all things are ready, please simply press the big 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface. AudFree Software will start the downloading process. All added Spotify tracks will be downloaded offline to the local folder on your Mac. And they can be converted and saved as unprotected audio files with original ID3 tags preserved. To locate them, please click the 'file' icon.
- Disclaimers: After you download Spotify on Mac, please don't share the converted Spotify music files with others. In general, it's considered legal to do that only for personal use. We just aim to let Spotify users get better music playback and listen to songs on multiple devices.